• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Baby Cecil

Cecil

Sitting on the front steps
I lost Nerd bird after 31 years of growing up together and it tore me up. My family found me Lurch who also was a Maxi Pionus and we needed each other. It took 5 years to earn his begrudging trust but we reached a understanding and he was happy. He escaped some time later due to a lapse of judgment and I was given Dobby after Momazon couldn't keep him anymore and knew what I went through with Lurch. I miss my two friends and am happy to have Dobby who is the most gentle, outgoing, socialized Maxi I have ever known. We all have been there and eventually you work through the pain and if you're ready you share your love with another feathered creature that needs it a completely different bond forms :sadhug:
Thank you for sharing your story. Just as you and Maxi found each other I pray that one day I will be able to do the same with another little one.

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
It brings me joy to hear about other peoples connections with their feathered babies. Its incredible how much of a hold they have on your heart in such a short period of time. Please hug your little one a little tighter tonight for me.
Sadly I do not live near my family right now and I am far away from him. The surprising part is that actually I did not even look to get a bird before. My family wanted a parrot before I came back living with them for a while and they had him. I have just been there and never would have thought the connection it would create. In between I found a temporary job in another city and all I want now is coming back home.

I guess that getting older I attach much less importance to work/money as compared to the family, and he is now a member of the family.

Cecil

I’m so very sorry. Cecil was beautiful & I love the name. One of the kindest people I ever knew was a Cecil.

The Ottawa Humane Society’s pet loss support group is meeting virtually due to Covid. I’m sure you could join. Pet Loss Support Groups - Ottawa Humane Society

The Winnipeg Humane Society has a support line where you can talk to someone about it. It’d be long distance, but worth it. Pet Loss & Grief Support

There is also the TO distress centre, 24/7. Distress Centres of Greater Toronto
Thank you for sharing these links!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I just did a lot of reading on human greif. Sudden unexpected loss can be like traumatic brain damage. If you focus to much on the pain your brain will start dropping memories of your Cecil to protect itself. This did happen to me..... you should allow yourself to grieve and honor your loss. But take time to also honor your love and the joy you had together . Don't allow those memories to stab with guilt .
Thank you so much for saying this. I had a cat that I raised since he was 1. He went through a bunch of moves, a health scare that almost took his life, and so much more but his love and loyalty to me never waivered. When he passed, I couldn’t even remember much. It was so weird and I wasn’t actively avoiding thoughts of him. But my brain just wouldn’t go there. It’s been 4 years and as I say that, it’s unbelievable. Sometimes it feels like it was a lifetime ago and other times it feels like it was just last year. I still haven’t dealt with it really, the guilt is just so overwhelming that I can’t disconnect the grief with guilt. I know how unhealthy this is. My new lovebird babies are the first new pets I’ve gotten in 15 years. Since my cats lived long lives and I still have one sweet but needy girl with me, we didn’t want to disrupt the house. The birds are babies that I’m hand feeding (i have experience with them) and they have given me a new purpose and they are slowly helping me put my heart back together. I love them so much and I’ve only had them for less than 2 weeks haha. Anyways, I really needed to hear those words, I thought I was alone.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
It’s been 3 months since my baby boy Cecil passed away in a tragic accident caused by a family member. I am still at a loss for words as to how to begin to understand the immense pain and heartache of losing him. He was only 7 years old and had so much more life to live.

Cecil came into my life only 2.5 years ago, as a rescue bird that no one claimed from the local animal shelter. I never in my wildest dreams expected to get a bird, but sure enough Cecil somehow ended up in my life. The first few weeks were rough. We didn’t warm up to each other, but looking back now I could only imagine what he must have felt suddenly being exposed to a new environment. As I researched more about conures, I learned so much from this forum and a local parrot store about dietary needs and mental stimulation. I began testing different chop recipes and would worry constantly about his diet and his stubbornness to eat his vegetables.

As the months passed by he started to get more comfortable with me and would sit on my shoulder, head, or nap behind my ear. He would love to crawl down my shirt to just under my chin and fall asleep as I held him, or tap me for scritches on my cheek to get my attention. When COVID hit I was forced to work from home and he became my trusty sidekick. He was on my shoulder/head for every virtual meeting or client call I had. Everyone knew him and loved him the moment they saw him. I couldn’t start any meeting without having to give an introduction about the little creature asleep on my head. He made everyone laugh every time he would pull out my earphones mid meeting, or tap my cheek for attention while I was trying to talk.

Each morning he would let me know he was awake by tapping on his cage. I would go get him, bring him back to bed where he and I would snuggle for an hour before our days began. Oh how I cherished that time we had together. It was the best part of my day. Him sleeping soundly under my neck or in my shirt, while I watched him and wondered what he could be dreaming about.

He had the best personality, always up to some mischief. He loved shredding tissues, stealing food, and had a nack for finding me no matter where I was in the house. He HATED feet, anything green (he was not a fan of his veggies), or any hair clips - because to him my hair, ears, neck, face, and hands belonged to him.

I’m in my mid 30s and I don’t have a S/O or kids, so Cecil became my baby. I poured every bit of love I had into my little boy, and our bond was like nothing I’ve experienced before. The joy, unconditional love and support he gave me was what I had been searching for my entire life. He was my entire world. I feel like I lost my child. The memories that surround me in every room of my house consume me. I have cried myself to sleep every night since he’s been gone and I don't know how I’ll ever be able to heal. I don’t have much support, and feel so alone with my grief. Not many people can understand the loss of bird and the bond you can have, but if anyone can I know its you guys. I miss my baby sooo much and am just shattered and broken by his loss.

If anyone knows of any support groups, please do let me know. I’m located in the GTA. Thank you for listening!
So sorry about your loss, it’s so hard to say goodbye to the ones we love. Sending you lots of healing vibes!!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Cecil,
How are you today?
It's heart warming to see the forum supporting you.

Cecil

Cecil,
How are you today?
It's heart warming to see the forum supporting you.
I'm ok. Some days are better than others. I've been trying to find ways to distract myself, but he's never far from my thoughts, and I find myself just missing him so much at times.
All the stories and support has truly helped. I no longer feel alone in my grief.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
True love can never be replaced or forgotten. Your pain in grief is part of the process of love. I am so sorry you lost your Cecil from a tragic accident and too soon. When our loss is recent it is hard to imagine we will ever recover. It will get easier in time and Cecil will always be in your memories both good and bad. I know some people have a hard time understanding how important birds are to us. Birds are our family members, our flock mates and our friends. Your grief is valid. I am sending you supportive thoughts. :sadhug:

Cecil

True love can never be replaced or forgotten. Your pain in grief is part of the process of love. I am so sorry you lost your Cecil from a tragic accident and too soon. When our loss is recent it is hard to imagine we will ever recover. It will get easier in time and Cecil will always be in your memories both good and bad. I know some people have a hard time understanding how important birds are to us. Birds are our family members, our flock mates and our friends. Your grief is valid. I am sending you supportive thoughts. :sadhug:
Thank you so much for your kind words. I find myself missing him even more lately (if that's possible). I don't know how I'll ever be able to move past his loss, and move forward without him. Sometimes it's just so hard to accept.
I appreciate you taking the time to reach out and your words of kindness.