• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My baby budgie won't sleep unless I'm around

moonoodle

Checking out the neighborhood
My 2-3 month old male baby budgie stopped sleeping by himself recently. He only sleeps when I'm around, or when he's on my shoulder, and if I'm not around, he won't sleep and sometimes call for me, usually restless. I'm really worried, What could I do to help him sleep on his own or feel safer?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can try covering his cage on three sides leaving the front open so he doesn't have to feel like he's on alert for "danger" from all four sides or you can also try a white noise machine. Do you meant at night time he's not sleeping?

moonoodle

You can try covering his cage on three sides leaving the front open so he doesn't have to feel like he's on alert for "danger" from all four sides or you can also try a white noise machine. Do you meant at night time he's not sleeping?
Im not exactly sure, but it's like as if he's not getting enough sleep. But I'll try the cage covering idea tonight, hopefully it'll work. He could be a bit scared too since we had heavy lightning and loud storms recently.

moonoodle

How do you know he is not sleeping? I bet it is sleeping when you are!
I genuinely hope he is, but that would mean he's sleeping excessively, he's mostly sleeping when he's spending time with me, too. I think I'll take him to a vet for checkup today honestly.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I genuinely hope he is, but that would mean he's sleeping excessively, he's mostly sleeping when he's spending time with me, too. I think I'll take him to a vet for checkup today honestly.
If a bird is being lethargic, sleeping a lot, puffed up, etc a vet check is a very good idea. Are his droppings normal?

moonoodle

If a bird is being lethargic, sleeping a lot, puffed up, etc a vet check is a very good idea. Are his droppings normal?
Yeah, it turned out he was sick. I was thinking maybe I was over worrying, but I wasn't.Took him to vet, he's a little sick, but they said he'd be fine in 5 days with some extra probiotics. Thanks for your attention.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yeah, it turned out he was sick. I was thinking maybe I was over worrying, but I wasn't.Took him to vet, he's a little sick, but they said he'd be fine in 5 days with some extra probiotics. Thanks for your attention.
I hope he feels better soon.