• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My babies are growing up!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I’m finding little fuzzy down everywhere and I have found a few colored feathers so I think it’s happening for my babies. Wally and Eva are at a little over 14 and 15 weeks old and they are starting to molt!

Update on personality :
Wally is bitey. He is mischievous and purposeful. His beak isn’t as smooth as when he was an baby since he is using it more on the cage bars too, so his bites are a bit more painful. Still nothing malicious. Eva bites too but just has a generally innocent look to her haha and it’s more of a nibble. Just in general, Wally is much more intense. I can tell who lands on me by the force of it and the way they grab on. He hits harder, grabs harder, bites harder. When he is on a mission his eyes pin and I swear he looks like a little falcon. He is bold, brave, complicated and my little bestie. He’s like me haha. Eva is a little princess, she loves being showered with compliments. She is is the apple of everyone’s eye, Wally adores her. They cannot exist without each other. She’s simple, easy, sweet, shy. She’s like my husband. I’m like a frenzied curious busybody like Wally. And Eva is an easy going, even keel, sweet baby.

Best thing is that they love my husband also. I would say 60/40. Don’t love the constant landing on my head. Working on that. Wally and my husband butt heads a bit. Doesn’t change their relationship, they are still really close, but I know my husband gets annoyed with him quite a bit haha. Recently, I don’t let them out as long. Since then, they have been obsessed with us. Anything I’m doing, they are physically doing with me. I can’t turn a page, sip a drink, touch anything without them righhhhtttt there, falling into my cup. I’m aware that they want to be around us more cus they don’t have as much time with us. But it’s a cycle because the more difficult it is to do stuff with them, the less we let them out.

Now I don’t mean less like an alarming amount. We used to leave them out all day and night and they would just sleep in my curtains all night. It wasn’t good for them or us. We started to put them in the cage for sleep so they can actually sleep for 10 hours. I just mean less like, if I know I have to do something, I will wait an hour or two to let them out so i can just get it done. I change their cage every week. And i just bought new toys from @Macawnutz. They are happy. I know they miss us, but man, the clingliness can be intense!!

Also, what’s to be expected in the first molt?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Also, Eva is getting in her peach on her head but it is coming out in spots like freckles. This is normal?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
so his bites are a bit more painful. Still nothing malicious. Eva bites too but j
Try putting a lid on the nipping now while they are growing to avoid biting problems down the road.

Best thing is that they love my husband also.
That´s great. Always nice when the birds are sociable.

I know I have to do something, I will wait an hour or two to let them out so i can just get it done.
I am the same. Especially for my work, I can´t have them running over the keyboard and deleting my work.

And i just bought new toys from @Macawnutz. They are happy.
Cool! We got some stuff from Seriously Nutz and the birds loved everything, I hope yours do too :)

Also, what’s to be expected in the first molt?
The colour change is the biggest change. Some birds can be a little stressed and nippy during this time from the discomfort. You can offer lots of bathing opportunities to help sooth the itch.
Expect feather explosions everywhere and keep the hoover nearby :lol:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Try putting a lid on the nipping now while they are growing to avoid biting problems down the road.
Definitely the goal but his attention span is so short, shorter than Eva’s, so by the time he bites and I take action, like go to put him down, he already has already flown off. He already knows what’s coming. It’s a bit of battle of the wills over here haha I can’t even say that he’s biting, I would say nippy like a kitten or puppy, in a playful mischievous way but definitely going to continue to try to be consistent cus we can’t have birds just lashing out.
I am the same. Especially for my work, I can´t have them running over the keyboard and deleting my work.
I used to be able to manage them out and doing normal activities but when they are on cling mode, oh boy. It’s impossible. It’s a domino effect. They are clingy cus they want to be included in what’s going on but they more they are obsessive, the less I can do with them. Tough balance. And they have already deleted an important email and sent two embarrassing text messages hahaha
The colour change is the biggest change. Some birds can be a little stressed and nippy during this time from the discomfort. You can offer lots of bathing opportunities to help sooth the itch.
Expect feather explosions everywhere and keep the hoover nearby :lol:
I’ve been seeing a lot of down feathers. I just found a little blue one so that’s off Wally’s tail. Do some of your birds just tend to have more of an intense energy or is that all hormonal? I know it’s not set but she seems to have the personality of a male and him of a more high strung female. They aren’t tested so who knows? I just know he is more of a brute. I can tell who is who with my eyes closed by the pressure of the landing and just the general energy. He’s a fun little frenzy. She is a sweet little princess