• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My Avian First Aid Kit

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Forgot to add the latex free gloves in the pic.

The Yunan Baio is something my vet gave me - it clots flesh wounds quickly.
Superclot is good for broken blood feathers and bleeding nails, but not to be used on flesh wounds.
Quickstop I do have but do not use as it is toxic if ingested or inhaled or gets in the eyes.
Dr.Burkett recommends a heating pad rather than a ceramic heat lamp - it should be the type that doesn't switch off automatically. I have the lamp but not the heating pad yet. And oh, a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the hospital cage. I use a small Kings aluminum carrier as a hospital cage and sometimes even just the cat carrier depending on the injury.

firstaidkit.JPG

and of course the very helpful dvd

burkettdvd.JPG

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
How do you use the Yunan Baio capsules? Is it ingested or packed into the wound?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
How do you use the Yunan Baio capsules? Is it ingested or packed into the wound?
You open the capsule and pack the powder in the wound. They use it I surgery too.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Those capsules you mentioned, the only way to get them is to ask our vet?
My vet only has them because we have a holistic vet versed in Chinese medicine. I don't think most regular vets have heard of it or used it :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:highfive: great stuff. what does your vet recommend for flesh wounds please?
The yunan baio . On the DVD ADR Burkett said not to use superclot on flesh and definitely not flour. But did not mention the alternative or perhaps I missed it. We should check with our vets. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is the Yunan baio something you can buy retail? Is this the same stuff that got in your eyes once when you were trying to rescue L. Scooter? :huh: Just wondering.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Is the Yunan baio something you can buy retail? Is this the same stuff that got in your eyes once when you were trying to rescue L. Scooter? :huh: Just wondering.
Could be.... The emergency vet had poured it on his leg and it's very fine powder. Amazon has it but I wouldn't use it if your vet has reservations.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Sarojie. Just wondering. :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Wow. I have been using the "Yunan baio" my whole life... never thought about it for parrots. Good to have it on hand!! Thanks Saroj!!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I also like to keep some of those hand or foot warmer packets in my kit. You can open them up and make quite a lot of heat. You can wrap them in a cloth and use like a heating pad if the power is out. Once you open them a chemical reaction starts and they make heat. If you seal them in a plastic bag and get all the air out they will stop reacting and you can use them again latter.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Thats a great kit, I have probiotics, electrolytes for birds, polyaid first aid forumula and betadine on hand.

I actually really like the ceramic heat lamps, they keep the enviroment around the bird warm, you just need to have a thermostat attached to keep the heat controlled. I personally have never liked heat pads, I bought one for some baby birds I was rearing once when I was starting out with handrearing, I took it back as the babies bellies stayed warm but their backs were cold and they were crying from being chilled. Also if your bird can still perch the heat getting to them is going to be minimal if any at all.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I think starting a sticky thread with photos and links/descriptions of everyone's first aid kits could be useful! I know on my part my kit is sorely lacking so I have to make a list and begin buying stuff.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Wow. I have been using the "Yunan baio" my whole life... never thought about it for parrots. Good to have it on hand!! Thanks Saroj!!
where do you buy it?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco