• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My alexandrine got injured and is not eating

Aevi

Moving in
Real Name
Namju
Yesterday sm kids from the neighborhood threw fire crackers into our yard the room closest to my yard is the place where I keep my alexandrine at....she got scared and flew to the adjacent room and hit the moving ceiling fan the fans blade hit just below her eyes and she fell down

Thankfully there no internal bleeding there's a fracture in the right wing so the doc just tired up her wing to the body and gave sm oinments and asked me to apply sm betadine on the wounds and gave sm calcium for the bones

She is weak ...i want her to eat she's very energetic bird and loves to eat 24 hrs but atm she isnot eating anything cus of the injury near her beak i even tried giving her fav food like green bell pepper and seeds she just approaches to bite one and j stands still holding it in her beak

She's kinda better from yesterday she did bit me in my hands today with a gentle force ...i have ordered baby bird formula from Amazon it will be reaching tomorrow my plan is to feed her that through the hand feeding syringe

I got one of those syringes atm but the problem is that idk how to use em properly and I don want to force it in her mouth cause sm breathing or lung problem

If u guys have suggestions, remedies or point out any of my mistakes please do let me know below
Thank you

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You could try putting the foods in a blender and making them into a liquid and then feeding on a small spoon. I would try the spoon method of feeding before a syringe to reduce risk of aspiration. If you feed her pellets, you can grind them down into powder and then mix with water to create a formula.

Did the vet give you anything for the pain?

For future, be sure the ceiling fans are switched off if the door is open.

Aevi

Moving in
Real Name
Namju
You could try putting the foods in a blender and making them into a liquid and then feeding on a small spoon. I would try the spoon method of feeding before a syringe to reduce risk of aspiration. If you feed her pellets, you can grind them down into powder and then mix with water to create a formula.

Did the vet give you anything for the pain?

For future, be sure the ceiling fans are switched off if the door is open.
alright, i will try the spoon method I just got the baby formula also no the vet has not prescribed anything for pain is there any medication that u can suggest regarding that
also anything else that am missing out here ??

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the vet has not prescribed anything for pain
Perhaps call and ask if they think your bird should be taking something or not. I don´t think it´s ever a good idea to give any medication without a professional overseeing it.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Your poor baby. So sorry this happened to her. @Zara has given you great advice. I hope she feels better soon.
:sadhug2:
It was good you got her to the vet so quickly, and got her treated.

Aevi

Moving in
Real Name
Namju
Perhaps call and ask if they think your bird should be taking something or not. I don´t think it´s ever a good idea to give any medication without a professional overseeing it.
yes i will do so also i tried to spoon feed she did eat the formula a Lil bit also I will try feeding her every hour now since shes just eating lil by little ...also is there anything i could do for her wing as the doc just wrapped it up her body and gave calcium supplements and medications for the open wound she tried to fly 3 times and fell down is there anything I could do to make her calm and stay and rest at one place ?
also thanks for the advice i really appreciate your help

Aevi

Moving in
Real Name
Namju
Your poor baby. So sorry this happened to her. @Zara has given you great advice. I hope she feels better soon.
:sadhug2:
It was good you got her to the vet so quickly, and got her treated.
yes, in general, we don't have an avian vet nearby but there's a bird farm nearby the owner helped me to get in contact with some doc he knew otherwise it wouldn't be possible

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she tried to fly 3 times and fell down is there anything I could do to make her calm and stay and rest at one place ?
You can try minimizing the space she has access to. For the initial recovery (these days and even this week), personally I would keep her caged most of the time to avoid injury. Line the cage with a cotton bedsheet folded to soften any falls.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd suggest you call the vet & ask for pain meds. Poor bird has to be in pain, hence the reason she's not eating.

You should keep her caged until she's eating well & healed. Pad the cage bottom with layers of paper or even as others suggested a bed sheet. Do not use towels, as she can get her toenails caught in the loops. Birds have hollow bones, which is one reason why they can fly. Generally if a wing is broken all they can do it wrap it in place & allow it to heal.

Food wise, do as others suggested. You can also offer cooked veggies like sweet potatoes, white potatoes & mash them. Put peas, carrots, etc., in a blender & puree them. You can add a little apple juice to make them more liquid if needed.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just wanted to say - you have received such excellent advice here, and I'm so sorry this happened. Ceiling fans are killers. That is what I call them here at my home, "Bird killers". Each time I turn them on I am VERY aware that my birds could be killed by them. You might hang a sign on the switch that warns you. I sure hope your baby will begin eating better, and that her wing will heal nicely and she'll be flying soon. In the meantime, the soft items in the bottom will be a lifesaver.

Aevi

Moving in
Real Name
Namju
Thank you guys for helping me out and yes I did contact the vet yesterday he said he is not certain bout the birds health before as if she got any other disease related to kidney or liver (tho According to me her droppings seems to be fine )

So for now he asked me to make her drink the anti biotics and calcium supplements

Also I have padded her cage pretty well with sheets and newspapers on the top and put her in sm warm place she seems to be sleeping well as am checking her at nights

Also an update ....she finally opened her eye under which she got the injury ...

Today she got out of her cage and drank a lot of water all by herself and she kinda looks active today too .....also she bit me playfully as she usually does

Attachments

Aevi

Moving in
Real Name
Namju
I just wanted to say - you have received such excellent advice here, and I'm so sorry this happened. Ceiling fans are killers. That is what I call them here at my home, "Bird killers". Each time I turn them on I am VERY aware that my birds could be killed by them. You might hang a sign on the switch that warns you. I sure hope your baby will begin eating better, and that her wing will heal nicely and she'll be flying soon. In the meantime, the soft items in the bottom will be a lifesaver.
I agree ceiling fans are bird killers and they have been always my number 1 fear since the day I started with birds that's why I keep my birbs in a seperate room from where they can get adequate sunlight and air
........ Also this girl does not fly too much she generally prefers to walk around the house here and there on the floor or perch on her cage what happened day before yesterday really really scared me as what happened was totally unexpected ...well I hope she recovers out of this soon and be active again as she used to be also ty i will be more cautious with leaving the door open from now on