• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Ad in Bird Talk Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Okay, so I had paid for a full year for an ad in Bird Talk magazine in the category under Bird Toys. When I called it in back 3 months ago which my first ad would appear in the March issue, so I get my Bird Talk in the mail yesterday. I specifically remember when telling her on the phone about the url to my website which would be www.pionusparrot.com/shop - it came out in the magazine as www.pionusparrot.com - so she left off the /shop part of the url. I even stressed about it having the /shop at the end of the main url.

So I get ticked. But in thinking about it, I wondered how important is the /shop part as when people are taken to the main url, it is pretty evident that you can see the dropdown menu for the Catalog.

My concerns are: should I leave it as is or call the gal at Bird Talk and have them change it to have the /shop at the end of the main url?? So if you guys go to the main part of my url being www.pionusparrot.com ... do you easily spot the area that would take you onto my toy catalogs as there are two listed from the drop down menu? My ad was to direct viewers to the Jolly Ball site and not really to my main site but I guess it maybe it does not matter... what do you all think, should I leave it as is?

Some people navigate on sites easily and find anything and everything while other people seem to not see things easily.

Spinderella

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chloe
If it were me, I would change the word "Catalog" to "Shop" and then leave the URL as is. To me, "catalog" doesn't mean much. But the word "Shop" immediately tells me that your store is located under that link.

If you want to leave the word as "Catalog," then I would call BT and have them change it. Is it a text ad, or a graphic?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that the word "Shop" is definitely more user friendly for the average on line user. As long as the word is somewhere on your "SCREEN" - I think that's fine enough. jmho.
:hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
If it were me, I would change the word "Catalog" to "Shop" and then leave the URL as is. To me, "catalog" doesn't mean much. But the word "Shop" immediately tells me that your store is located under that link.

If you want to leave the word as "Catalog," then I would call BT and have them change it. Is it a text ad, or a graphic?

I was thinking this too and I would make the word/button for shop automatically go to the store without you having to drop down and choose another selection also.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis

I agree and place a button on the left sidebar to the shop.

ThatDarnBird

I agree, I would change "catalog" to "Shop" and I think you're good.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I agree with changing the Catalog to Shop or even Products, but, did you stay within the 20 words with the word shop, or did you go over. Could that have been why she took it off? If you paid for that word then I would see about maybe getting a month or so added on, or refunded for the overage.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yah, funny you guys mention to change it to "shop" on the navigation... I had been already thinking about doing that. I've got tons of pages that would have to be changed but it is do-able.

I was under the 20 word limit so not sure why the /shop was left off at the end of the url ... I recall telling her on the phone.... forward slash shop ( /shop ) after I had given her the main part of the url and I said it at least twice, she even repeated it back to me properly. I'll call them next week and see why that was done. Who would want to pay over $350 for a mistake?

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Oh definitely you don't want to pay that much for 20 words and have it wrong!!!! But then again, she may have put the request in right and the copy people could have goofed who knows. Either way, someone did and you should get an answer as to why. If you have to change all your pages I think I would ask for it to be redone! I know what a hassle that is, and its a BIG one.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, I know and I did call Bird Talk but no answer on their extension line for the ads... so Monday I will call and see. So if I leave it for the ad as the main url at least people will see the site on Pionus and may want to know more on them and if I have the ad changed to url with the /shop following it then it would take them directly to the Jolly Balls & More! section but still anyone who is great at navigating won't get lost or confused either way.

I am changing the navigation from Catalog to Shopping so now have to upload pages and already changed the header image. Thanks guys, this only pushed me into changing what I had thought of doing in the back of my mind, so thanks for your help in input!

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
No prob!! I hope your ad generates a lot of business for you! :) Your Jolly Balls are really cool

Status
Not open for further replies.