• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My AC is making bird cold

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
Hello. My 19 year old Lovebird had a tough time staying warm with the air conditioning on. She’s not right by the vent, and I do have a towel hanging on the side where the air would possibly blow on. She does have a bird heater she snuggles up to. She stays by it all day. Has anyone used a heat lamp for birds to warm up part of the cage area? (Only part of the cage so she can choose to not be by it.). Is it ok to use those?
I feel like she’s getting sick from the cold. She’s old and can’t keep warm like she used to. What kind of bulb should I use?

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
How about turning the temperature up on your A/C?
I know. Seems obvious, right? However, this is a very hot apartment and if I don’t keep it running constantly in the afternoon, it heats up too much in here and won’t cool off. (Moving this coming winter).

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
What kind of AC unit is it? Can you move it to a different window or move her cage to a different room?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The ceramic heat lamps are very effective.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
What kind of AC unit is it? Can you move it to a different window or move her cage to a different room?
It’s in the ceiling, the ac vent. Small apt so we are just in the living room, as far away as she can be. I ran my space heater in that area a minute ago until I get a heat lamp. We have a long, hot Florida summer ahead of us. lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
move her cage to a different room?
Maybe put her in the bedroom during peak heat hours.

Seems a bit strange to run a space heater and AC.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
Maybe put her in the bedroom during peak heat hours.

Seems a bit strange to run a space heater and AC.
Just trying to provide warmth for my bird in her specific space while having to run ac in this apt during the afternoons. Doing what I can for now until I pick up a heat lamp.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
What's the temperature and humidity in your apartment (ideally read where she's spending her time)?

It seems conflicting that an AC unit that's struggling to keep up with your cooling needs, is also chilling it to a degree that would be too cold.

She does have a bird heater she snuggles up to. She stays by it all day.
Since she's old, she may simply be lazily sitting on her favourite perch, which happens to be next to the heater.
As an experiment, could you move the heater to a different location that's accessible to her, to see if she follows the heat?

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have a 29 yo quaker who freezes and huddles by his wall heater ignoring food and toys if I put the AC any lower than 87. Haven’t switched it on yet today ( North Fl). A sweltering 88 in here. The five others get sprayed off and on

39E9F54B-B27B-4FFF-9AAD-FA2A6C2EDA43.jpeg

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I have an even more important question that I’m going to post separately. About liver disease. I’ll get her a heat lamp. The temp in here is 77. Not sure of humidity. If I keep it any hotter in here as the summer goes on, it’s just way too stuffy in here. It’s a very small place that faces the west. Ugh. Can’t wait to move.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
I have an even more important question that I’m going to post separately. About liver disease. I’ll get her a heat lamp. The temp in here is 77. Not sure of humidity. If I keep it any hotter in here as the summer goes on, it’s just way too stuffy in here. It’s a very small place that faces the west. Ugh. Can’t wait to move.
Hi! i was looking for the same question... well almost!
I’ve had my IRN for about 6 weeks now. I had take her outside for about 2 hours a day... unless it gets over 84.

today is the first day we have the Ac ok. It’s only in the living room and it won’t even reach the kitchen! It’s at 60 which doesn’t feel like it... and my birdie is on the other side of the room behind the couch. A towel covers the side which IF air got to her it blocks it...

Is this safe? Or should I move her cage to the kitchen?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I have a bit of this problem with my Amazon. We generally keep the house between 70-74, but when I brought Opie home he shivered a lot.
After closing all the vents in his room and turning on a small oil heater by his cage, he is usually ok. But now I sweat in there!

He isn't old though.

Can you maybe get a curtain room divider to section off your birds space? They make stand alone curtain racks that pressure mount to the ceiling, so you could use that to insulate?

In our attic we used a canvas tarp to section off half the room and when we run the window ac on one side, the degree difference between sides is pretty significant!

Last edited: