• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 7 week old conure won't stop screaming.

SasikumarM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sasikumar M
My Pineapple conure is 7 weeks old. Currently I'm handfeeding him the formula once every evening. During the day I feed him vegetables and fruits. But he will eat less of the vegetables and would be more interested in eating seeds. The problem is he won't stop making this "Screech Screech" sound. He will keep screaming whenever he sees me. I know he is asking for the formula. But I'm trying to transition him to soft food like vegetables. Idk how to handle this behaviour. I don't want to give him formula encouraging his screaming behaviour, but he won't stop until I give him seeds or feed him formula. What's the strategy to make him stop screaming like that?

SasikumarM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sasikumar M
He used to scream like this since he was just 4-5 weeks old. With that I used to know he is actually hungry. But this behaviour haven't gone yet. Will this be reduce as he grows old? Or is there something I can do about it?

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am no expert, but i think he's still hungry. Also, conures can be very attached to humans. My CBC Rio used to make this noise for attention and cuddles. I'll tag some experts, @Wardy , @webchirp

SasikumarM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sasikumar M
I am no expert, but i think he's still hungry. Also, conures can be very attached to humans. My CBC Rio used to make this noise for attention and cuddles. I'll tag some experts, @Wardy , @webchirp
He is out of his cage for almost 2-3 hours a day. And even when he is with me, he will be screaming just how baby birds scream to their mom for food. I'm worried if I stop feeding him the formula, he won't eat anything.

SasikumarM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sasikumar M
He is out of his cage for almost 2-3 hours a day. And even when he is with me, he will be screaming just how baby birds scream to their mom for food. I'm worried if I stop feeding him the formula, he won't eat anything.
The screaming is not continuous, but only when he sees me or any of my family member or when he wants me to feed him formula or when he wants me to give him seeds.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you in India? Can you post a video of your baby?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
screaming just how baby birds scream to their mom for food. I'm worried if I stop feeding him the formula, he won't eat anything.
One of my baby birds acted like that, even after her crop was full from formula. I think she just wanted comfort and attention and associated me with food. I also found that feeding them formula gave them a sense of comfort and that allowed for them to relax enough to try the soft pellets and vegetables again. When they are hungry, they just lost their minds and would yell for food but once they were fed, they would calm down enough to start picking at stuff. I know, I was on the fence also because I didn’t want to undo any progress by offering them baby food. Just what worked for me :joyful:

SasikumarM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sasikumar M
One of my baby birds acted like that, even after her crop was full from formula. I think she just wanted comfort and attention and associated me with food. I also found that feeding them formula gave them a sense of comfort and that allowed for them to relax enough to try the soft pellets and vegetables again. When they are hungry, they just lost their minds and would yell for food but once they were fed, they would calm down enough to start picking at stuff. I know, I was on the fence also because I didn’t want to undo any progress by offering them baby food. Just what worked for me :joyful:
So feed him a small portion of the formula and then make him try new food?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No experience with such a young bird sorry

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
So feed him a small portion of the formula and then make him try new food?
Many experienced members here helped guide me through the beginning stages (and continue to do so) of bringing my babies home and weaning them properly. But this was one of the first concerns and posts, there would be times when Eva seemed inconsolable but it all got better. I listened to their advice, I gave her the formula feedings she felt she needed and offered soft foods after. She was pair bonded, so I think that helped her wean quickly as she didn’t want to be left behind

SasikumarM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sasikumar M
Many experienced members here helped guide me through the beginning stages (and continue to do so) of bringing my babies home and weaning them properly. But this was one of the first concerns and posts, there would be times when Eva seemed inconsolable but it all got better. I listened to their advice, I gave her the formula feedings she felt she needed and offered soft foods after. She was pair bonded, so I think that helped her wean quickly as she didn’t want to be left behind
Thank you for the advice. I'll try the same method and see if it gets better.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
If your baby is screaming for food , then likely needs food. Food= security . When they don't have food security they have anxiety, and can turn into life time of them having difficulty handling stress , development of behavior issues. Force wean also leeds to prolonged weaning. You need to wean by abundance.

Abundance weaning, search that there are lots of great article or I will link my favorites if you need.

It's seems counter intuitive, but the babies are more willing to try new foods after a formula feed. Do give some formula in the morning , then immediately offer your other foods .

In abundance weaning you offer the formula as usual and you let them refuse it take less while st the same time you have all your adult foods available. And you model eating and plsy with foods. Babies learn from their parents sbd flocks donuts really important to spend the time fooling around with them .

Weaning is a very important life stage . It's a time they need guidance and extra support and often more contact time . That's what turns them into confident adults who are well adjusted. Parrot's are like humans with extended childhood to learn and develop into complex creatures. Again most of the expert articles are out there on this life stage , go ahead and read the ones that focus on macaws or other large parrot's . The same applies to conures. Just conures move through the stages quicker as most smaller species development is quicker, reach adulthood and breeding age sooner than large species.

do not search you tube or video. Take the time to read the expert articles out there .

have a digital kitchen scale track weight.

this is a rapid growth and development stage . They need nutrition support. I would suggest getting pellets to offer. Fruits and vegetables alone aren't going to meet the needs, especially needed some protein for growth.. You are going to need to look into adding soaked and cooked legumes, lentils, quinoa, whole grains , sprouts. A little boiled egg a couple of times a week. Cooked sweet potato.

you might mix a little thicker prepared formula with pellets and veggies. Remember spoiled quickly.

SasikumarM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sasikumar M
If your baby is screaming for food , then likely needs food. Food= security . When they don't have food security they have anxiety, and can turn into life time of them having difficulty handling stress , development of behavior issues. Force wean also leeds to prolonged weaning. You need to wean by abundance.

Abundance weaning, search that there are lots of great article or I will link my favorites if you need.

It's seems counter intuitive, but the babies are more willing to try new foods after a formula feed. Do give some formula in the morning , then immediately offer your other foods .

In abundance weaning you offer the formula as usual and you let them refuse it take less while st the same time you have all your adult foods available. And you model eating and plsy with foods. Babies learn from their parents sbd flocks donuts really important to spend the time fooling around with them .

Weaning is a very important life stage . It's a time they need guidance and extra support and often more contact time . That's what turns them into confident adults who are well adjusted. Parrot's are like humans with extended childhood to learn and develop into complex creatures. Again most of the expert articles are out there on this life stage , go ahead and read the ones that focus on macaws or other large parrot's . The same applies to conures. Just conures move through the stages quicker as most smaller species development is quicker, reach adulthood and breeding age sooner than large species.

do not search you tube or video. Take the time to read the expert articles out there .

have a digital kitchen scale track weight.

this is a rapid growth and development stage . They need nutrition support. I would suggest getting pellets to offer. Fruits and vegetables alone aren't going to meet the needs, especially needed some protein for growth.. You are going to need to look into adding soaked and cooked legumes, lentils, quinoa, whole grains , sprouts. A little boiled egg a couple of times a week. Cooked sweet potato.

you might mix a little thicker prepared formula with pellets and veggies. Remember spoiled quickly.
That advice was much needed. I guess I'm going too fast with the weaning as I read some articles that mentioned that a conure should be completely weaned by the time it's 8 weeks old. So I was worried if I'm delaying the weaning stage. But I'll try to go with his pace. If you can share the links to the article it would be helpful.

Thank you so much for the advice :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Yes it is likely yours will wesn soon. But you don't force it . If he has missed out on nutrients with you withholding formula till evening..he might need a little more time. But he will wesn himself

This will get started while I look for them

Last edited:

SasikumarM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sasikumar M
Yes it is likely yours will wesn soon. But you don't force it . If he has missed out on nutrients with you withholding formula till evening..he might need a little more time. But he will wesn himself

This will get started while I look for them

It's not that he won't eat the vegetables at all. He loves to eat apple, beet, mung beans, half cooked carrots and some other sweet fruits. When it comes to green leafy vegetables or vegetables like bell peppers, cauliflower, Brocoli or some other non-sweet vegetables. He won't even touch them. So it gets confusing for me, because I don't want to keep feeding him the same sweet food. And when he gets what he doesn't wanna eat, he screams continuously when he sees me. It is taking me sometime to understand him.

SasikumarM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sasikumar M
It's not that he won't eat the vegetables at all. He loves to eat apple, beet, mung beans, half cooked carrots and some other sweet fruits. When it comes to green leafy vegetables or vegetables like bell peppers, cauliflower, Brocoli or some other non-sweet vegetables. He won't even touch them. So it gets confusing for me, because I don't want to keep feeding him the same sweet food. And when he gets what he doesn't wanna eat, he screams continuously when he sees me. It is taking me sometime to understand him.
Sometimes I'll just keep the vegetables in the cage and leave in a hope that he would eat some when he gets very hungry. But he will stay hungry than trying out the new food. And yeah start screaming again when he sees someone crossing by.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

Except from linked article
" One of the most important things to do when weaning a baby is to keep him well fed. Hungry babies are far too frustrated to try eating on their own. When they are hungry they can only think of how they want that hunger satisfied. When their hunger is well satisfied they are happy, ready to explore and try new things. A full, well fed baby will go over to a crock of food and taste or eat the food, whereas a baby that is hungry might just sit there and cry waiting for someone to come feed him. "

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Also worth reading. To support learning feather care and preening. As he doesn't have clutch mates , parents, and flock to learn from

Excerpt:
" Surprising, young pre-fledged birds learn from their clutch mates while still in their nesting cavity or nursery bins as they begin preening one another as soon as their motor skills start to progress. Regrettably, some fledglings may not have the opportunity to be raised with another clutch mate. Parental guidance & other flock mentors can participate in the preening education."

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Feed the baby! :heart: Food is so much more than nutrition. It's comfort, safety, confidence, love!!

It's okay if they aren't weaned right at 8 weeks. Most conures are in the 8-12 week range anyways. But in the wild their parents would still give them comfort feeds if they ask :)

Don't rush it!