• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 600L (158.5 Gal) pond with fancy goldfish

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
story time !

So since i was a little kid, i have always LOVED goldfish, but when i got my first aquarium (about 11) i was very interested in exotic community fish so i never got the chance to have a fish tank with goldfish.
years passed and i documented myself more and more about goldfish keeping and pond keeping, 2 years ago i decided to go ahead and do it so i started with a little 23.77 Gal (90L) bucket :yahoo:and got 2 goldfish (calicop telescope & red cap cross fantail), they looked quite happy and i kept adding plants to it; but i ended up with 1 more a week later because how can you resist a little long fin pearlscale !! :loveshower: :cantwait:.
DSC_0062.jpg
DSC_0235.jpg
DSC_0198.jpg
DSC_0257.jpg

so might not look like it but they were extremely tiny to me ! ( 4cm body ! so about 1.6 inch). the red cap mix is Cleo, the pearlscale was Pearl and the Calico was Bubule which is a cute way to reffer someone or something as a bubble (bubble is bulle in french).
DSC_0253.jpg
DSC_0489.jpg

After a few month i decided to upgrade them to a bigger pond so i dug as much dirt out from a concrete planter that i have in my garden (not useful at all no idea why the property owners did that), and the fish went from a 90L (23.77 Gal) mini pond to a 600L (158.50 Gal) mini pond !!!!!!!!! :knockknock: it lookedso huge to me !
DSC_0245.jpg
78219128_2293329010772106_8384478234326073344_n.jpg
and this was the result ! (the bricks are natural volcanic bricks and now they have various moss growing on it !!!)
DSC_0493.jpg

unfortunatly bad things did happen, after about a month in the new pond a cat snatched bubulle away one night and i was devastated the next morning so i decided to let the floating plants take over the surface so the fish can be well camouflaged/hidden under it.
DSC_0795.jpg
But it was kinda annoying even though it worked great because i couldn't enjoy watching my babies swim, so i made some diy tube cercle foating thingies lol, by the way the cute orange butterfly telescope you see in the previous picture and this one is named Okkoto. (ill explain later)
DSC_0791.jpg

then winter came and all the floating plants died which got the pond extremely durty so i had to find a solution and decided that a net would be the best option even though it's less pretty.
78277081_708251040001367_8819479132019621888_n.jpg
76958640_717223035455360_4207535879410941952_n.jpg

that i lost pearl from swim bladder disease ... since you can't add goldfish in ponds during winter i was left with only 1 fish, (Cleo the red cap fantail) and she spent the winter alone in the pond ..
Then spring came and my hunt for new pond mates for Cleo began ! i quickly found a beautiful orange Butterfly Telescope that i named okkoto (he was twice the size of Cleo back then but now she is the same size as him).
later i got 2 red & white long fin orandas that i call the twins because they look so much alike (they have grown a bit but they are still very small).
then finally i got a little orange ryukin named fidji that doesn't have anything special but looked cute.
i feel like i have space for 2 more fish then i won't add anymore because i don't want the pond to be overstocked.
here are some pictures of them now !
So thi is Cleo the red cap fantail now ! she got so big !
DSC_0617.jpg DSC_0579.jpg
DSC_0580.jpg DSC_0554.jpg
DSC_0563.jpg

Then the gorgeous Okkoto
DSC_0623.jpg
78049573_281722732713714_5015968502566092800_n.jpg
DSC_0609.jpg
he grew up a bit since that picture.
76609841_1164654640397639_1795490556739059712_n.jpg
DSC_0594.jpg

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I love goldfish. Black moor goldfish are my favorite.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww poor Bubulle :sad3:

I love your pond! The mesh is a much better option to keep them safe. My parents put mesh over their pond after herons kept coming for the fish.

Your fish are all so very cute! :cloud9:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow! Beautiful pond, nice plants around it. Gorgeous fish. What a peaceful place to hang out.

I love orandas.
We had a nice pond at our old house. Raccoons would get our fish out and play with them, leaving them on the grass to die.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
I love goldfish. Black moor goldfish are my favorite.
yes me too telescope in general are just too cute :bliss:

Awww poor Bubulle :sad3:

I love your pond! The mesh is a much better option to keep them safe. My parents put mesh over their pond after herons kept coming for the fish.

Your fish are all so very cute! :cloud9:
i know :sad4:
thank you so much ! and yes i agree i haven't had anything happen to them since i put the mesh !

Wow! Beautiful pond, nice plants around it. Gorgeous fish. What a peaceful place to hang out.
I love orandas.
We had a nice pond at our old house. Raccoons would get our fish out and play with them, leaving them on the grass to die.
thank you !! :starshower1:
it is a very nice addition to the garden !, when i have guest over they love it !
omg raccon are the worst ! we don't have raccons in France so that is good for the fish but we do have stray cats and birds of prey

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Wow I love it! Beautiful goldfish!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh I’m a little jealous lol. You have a beautiful pond!!

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
Wow I love it! Beautiful goldfish!
:loveshower: thanks !:loveshower:

Oh I’m a little jealous lol. You have a beautiful pond!!
thank you ! you'v never considered having one ? it's such a great addition to a garden ! especially when it is near a sitting area !

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have one in my garden. It’s not very happy at the moment, it’s having some funky water issue that my usually chemicals are not cleaning up. I’m off to the bigger town tomorrow so I’ll take a sample of the water to the pet store so they can tell me what I need to do.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
I have one in my garden. It’s not very happy at the moment, it’s having some funky water issue that my usually chemicals are not cleaning up. I’m off to the bigger town tomorrow so I’ll take a sample of the water to the pet store so they can tell me what I need to do.
how is your filtration system ? and what to you mean by funky ? like the water isn't clear or there's some algae ? maybe some pictures ? how often do you do the water change ? do you add cleaning bacteria from time to time ? ...... unlike fishtanks, ponds don't need to be clean as ofte, i do water change like once or twice in the summer and once if needed during the winter (about 25% water change) and i also do like twice a year a full 80% water change with a big scrub of all the pond and vaccum the bottom ! and i clean the filtration system regulary, i also add twice a year a little bit of cleaning bacteria just to boost the already existing and established bacteria culture in the pond. result, my water looks always perfectly clear ! and the fishies are happy !

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have had it beautiful and clear for ages but something failed last week :/
My filtration system is a very simple fountain pump with a sponge in it that I remove when the fountain isn’t flowing right and clean the sponge then replace it. This system is 100% better than what was originally in it which was nothing. Lol.
We had a really hot windy day last week which had filled the pond with leaves, dust and grasses. I need more shade for the water I think because any time we have a really hot day the water goes a bit green from some sort of outbreak of living algae or something lol.
The water gets topped up daily when it’s hot and I change a few buckets of it weekly or fortnightly depending on how much has been blown into it. I did a big clean of it around six months ago and it is probably due again going on how many sticks and bits of plastic I pulled out of it the other day.
I do put some bacteria stuff in there every now and then but it is just looking yuck at the moment. I’ll give it a few days to see if the bacteria cleans it up if not then I guess I’ll be doing a good clean and prioritising getting some more plant cover.

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for sharing!!! Beautiful pond and fishies!!!!❤

Galadriel

Meeting neighbors
Love this set up, but be ready to repot those succulents! I have some of the same, and they got HUGE! I'll try to her a shot of my paddle plants when it's daylight. One is seriously almost as long as my arm.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
I have had it beautiful and clear for ages but something failed last week :/
My filtration system is a very simple fountain pump with a sponge in it that I remove when the fountain isn’t flowing right and clean the sponge then replace it. This system is 100% better than what was originally in it which was nothing. Lol.
We had a really hot windy day last week which had filled the pond with leaves, dust and grasses. I need more shade for the water I think because any time we have a really hot day the water goes a bit green from some sort of outbreak of living algae or something lol.
The water gets topped up daily when it’s hot and I change a few buckets of it weekly or fortnightly depending on how much has been blown into it. I did a big clean of it around six months ago and it is probably due again going on how many sticks and bits of plastic I pulled out of it the other day.
I do put some bacteria stuff in there every now and then but it is just looking yuck at the moment. I’ll give it a few days to see if the bacteria cleans it up if not then I guess I’ll be doing a good clean and prioritising getting some more plant cover.
how many gal is your pond ?, yeah i would strongly recommend to have half of the pond shielded from the sun at all time, direct sunlight is not good for ponds and fish tanks in general ! as for the algae, it isn't pretty when there is too much even though it usually isn't harmful to the fish, but yeah you need to do some big vaccuming and cleanning from time to time, mine took more than a year to fully stabilize and now even if there is some algae and a lot of dirt and yucky stuff on the bottom the water always stays crystal clear. i would also suggest adding a lot of live plant as they are great for wtaer filtration, oxygenation and "cleaning" the water.

Thanks for sharing!!! Beautiful pond and fishies!!!!❤
thank you !!!!! i can't wait for spring to be back so it can look pretty again and i can add 1 or 2 final members to the goldfish gang !! :yahoo:

Love this set up, but be ready to repot those succulents! I have some of the same, and they got HUGE! I'll try to her a shot of my paddle plants when it's daylight. One is seriously almost as long as my arm.
thank you !!! welll, you remember the thread i made about cactus and the one about succulent ? well i need to post soon because there as been loads of upgrades and changes and growth and new plants the last few month !!!!!!!!!!!:knockknock::excited1::excited1::excited1:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They are such cute little goldies! Soon they will out grow your hand. You may have need to get a 2nd pond soon ! :D :p

Goldfish are so amazing. I love reading about the husbandry changes and history. I found an amazing old goldfish book in an antique book shop from the 19th century. Let us just say...we have come a LONG way.

I read an interesting history in another publication that explained where the fish bowl concept came from. This is just my rough recap...so please contribute more if you know better.

Nerd alert:: :cantsee:

So goldfish are one of the only domesticated fish. They were used as a dual purpose fish; they lived in rice paddies eating insects and improving the work conditions, then they were also a meat source. Goldfish being naturally gregarious would follow their favourite people around. *Modern research has shown the capacity for goldfish to recognise each other by their faces and they remember their favourite humans** goldfish were a silver to brown hue, which you still see in some goldfish lines. When goldfish presented the orange colour they were considered lucky and highly valuable to the family or farm. So they slowly became more and more integrated into their human's life. If you had a very lovely orange/golden fish you would display your fish in a bowl to "show off" your good fortune. These fish were in bowls for short stints and would then return to the pond.

Well guess what? When westerners were invited to dine or visit important families, the family would display their lucky fish to their foreign guests. It was a sigh of the beauty and health of their farm or land.

Miss understanding that the bowl was not the fish's permanent home. The goldfish bowl was brought to Europe. Today we understand the dangers of the bowl..but it is interesting to see how it came about. Another example of misappropriated culture :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Very nicel!!! I want to make an outdoor pond next summer too. Because of Michigan's harsh winters, I'd have to put them back in their 150 gallon tank until the weather warms up again each spring. Yours is beautiful!!!

20191106_115202.jpg

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
thank you so m
Very nicel!!! I want to make an outdoor pond next summer too. Because of Michigan's harsh winters, I'd have to put them back in their 150 gallon tank until the weather warms up again each spring. Yours is beautiful!!!

View attachment 322260
thank you so much ! by the way for your temperature issue, there's many goldfish owners in the north of france that keep their goldfish all year round in their pond, the only main rule with outdoor pond is to but some type of shelter against the snow, and also to keep the surface water from freezing. i was a member of a goldfish forum and one member that lives in canada has her goldfish outside all year round and they seem to be doing okay.:highfive:

One thing that i would suggest and that i saw on social media people do, is to put a heater in the pond during winter and put some type of plexiglass lid on the pond ? i don't know if i said that correclty, then again it depends on your pond setup, i also saw a youtuber that put his mini pond in a little green house, which kept the pond a few degrees warmer than outside and prevents the pond from freezing and snow. :cantsee::flowgdnc:

if thing if you dig more into it you have some option as i think that moving fish too much can be quite stressful for them. by the way i see a big oranda in the picture im so in love :swoon:

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
here is a picture of a member of the french goldfish forum i know, she lives in the north of France. (summer time)
nov_2010.jpg

the same pond during winter knowing that she didn't loose any fish they all survived the winter:
photo_24.jpg

photo_25.jpg