• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 6 week old Baby Blue & Gold Macaw-Cosmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
You should feed until the crop is full to where it meets the neck. You should only allow the crop to empty once per day. Thus a late night feeding 11-12pm and then an early morning feeding 5-6am.

Feeding like this, rather than on a schedule will prevent stunting, stress bars and loads of frustration for the baby. They are wired to be fed when they ask to be fed. Parents instinctively respond to a youngsters feeding call, and they start calling long before their crops are empty.

Formula at this stage should be, as has been said here, thick.

Your baby is adorable. I love baby Macaws!

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Important point Shelly makes. I only let the crop empty at night. During the day you will be feeding on schedule and the crop shouldn't be empty. My rule of thumb is to have about 1/3 full crop left at the next feeding.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I would probably increase the amount of feedings just a little (10 to 20 cc), 60 to 70 doesn't really seem like enough, but I'm not an expert either, I know there are others on here that are much more knowledgeable. Just make sure that the crops empties completely at night. I did not really feed on a perfectly timed schedule, I adjusted to what I thought they needed as they grew.

Status
Not open for further replies.