• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My 4 week cockatiel barely ate or drank the past 24h.

Raid K

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
R K
She was at the vet yest, I have another appointment tomorow. I want to ensure she doesn't dehydrate or die overnight. I read online that force feeding it some cherry or orange juice would help. Please let me know of I should. Also how much to force down.

Apreciate any prompt response. She is currently on antibiotics and anti inflamatory meds.

Thanks

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Forcing liquid down her throat could very easily lead to aspiration pneumonia, so I absolutely would not suggest doing so. Offer her some juice on a spoon; she may be enticed to drink it. Otherwise, she may need to stay at the vet on an IV drip to stave off dehydration until you find out what's wrong.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Contact the vet and let him/her know that your 'tiel is not eating or drinking and that you need to come in sooner than tomorrow. Do not force food or liquid into your bird. If that vet can't take you today then find another vet. Your 'tiel may have to be tube fed.

Raid K

Real Name
R K
Forcing liquid down her throat could very easily lead to aspiration pneumonia, so I absolutely would not suggest doing so. Offer her some juice on a spoon; she may be enticed to drink it. Otherwise, she may need to stay at the vet on an IV drip to stave off dehydration until you find out what's wrong.
Thank you.

Raid K

Real Name
R K
Update: good news she just ate. Fingers crossed that she doesn't have PDD and she continues recovering. She took 13ml of overly watery formula as per vet's recommendation due to possible obstruction. Will feed her again in a few hours :)