• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 4 month old African Grey suddenly died.

Chicoo

Sitting on the front steps
Hi guys, so I have heartbreaking news. Unfortunately, Chico passed away. My son woke up to find him on the bottom of his cage. He was still alive and we rushed him to the vet but unfortunately stopped breathing as soon as he took him back. Now we are just left with unanswered questions.

So what happened? Our Vet checked him out a week ago and he said he appeared to look all good. A bacteria test came back borderline, as he said and he still thought that giving him some immune support would be a good place to start since he was only 4 months old and seemed to be fine. He checked out his air sacks, said his keel was a little pronounced but nothing out of the ordinary. Yesterday he was fine, eating, drinking, not as playful as he was when we first brought him home, but ok. I did not cook at home, do not use any scented anything, no plants, no toxins, nothing

My concern now is if I was sold a sick bird. When we went to pick up our already purchased African Grey, there was a lady there who told us that she was there waiting on her second macaw because her first had died just a week and a half after she took him home. I asked what he had died of and she said of a possible bacteria. If I would have known, I wouldn't have purchased my parrot there, but unfortunately, I had already done so. Now in the contract, it says if for whatever reason the bird does die, they would get us another bird. My 11-year-old is having a really difficult time right now, I am afraid if it did come to this, that it would happen again.

what could have happened?!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm sorry for your loss.

Anything said here will be speculation -- if you really want to know, your avian vet will need to perform a necropsy.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m sorry to hear of your loss :(

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
I am so sorry for your loss of Chico. :sadhug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can understand how you feel, it's like a devastating shock. I am so sorry... Fly high, Chico.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I am so sorry for you and your family!
IF your AG is replaced... maybe take him directly to the vet for a full work-up! Does the vet know HIS REPUTATION?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry for your loss! If it is still possible, I would highly recommend a necropsy in order to answer your questions. As far as the breeder is concerned, I'm afraid I have no answers for you. If you ran into someone else whose young bird died shortly after bringing it home and your young bird died after bringing it home, that would certainly raise some red flags for me. That is why a necropsy would be very helpful information.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
I am so sorry for your loss of Chico. May he fly high!
I agree with the others-a necropsy is the only way to be sure of how your featherbaby passed away. As for the breeder, it definitely raises red flags.