• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My 37 yo Amazon has developed black marks on each side of her beak. Should I be concerned?

AnitraF

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ann Franchi
The marks look as though she has been carrying a long stick in her beak, and the paint has rubbed off on either side of the beak. I assure you this is not the case, this is just the appearance. She is - as far as the vet could ascertain - a Late May Amazon Hybrid, sold to us as a Yellow Nape, although she has very few yellow feathers anywhere! So she is very close to the 37th anniversary of her hatching date. The vet we used to go to has since retired, and we haven't found a replacement yet. Do we need to step up the search?

She is also sleeping a lot during the day, but this may be due to our habits changing due to retirement and the pandemic.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you share a photo?

AnitraF

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ann Franchi
Can you share a photo?
Not really. She doesn't like the phone being so close to her. And then I would have to get the picture out of the phone and onto the computer ... Not technically very savvy, sorry.