• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My 35 year old double yellow head is showing signs of concussion

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Almond slivers can be bought in the grocery store in the baking aisle. I keep my package in the refrigerator (in the butter compartment) with the top rolled down and clamped.

Secret LOVES them but they are rationed.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The reason for the walnuts is that they are supposed to lower cholesterol levels. There have been many studies done regarding this.
Here's one article with info:
However, he gets limited amount of walnuts and does not get them frequently.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The walnuts were recommended by the vet. I'll check back with her regarding the almonds but when I asked about other nuts when he was first diagnosed she told me to stick with the walnuts.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It comes down to what you are after. Yes, walnuts do lower cholesterol, but I trade that off for the calcium and lower total saturate fat.

It's a distinction without a difference.

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
Hanging out in front yard for some sun , and he climbed up to carrier rim . Spent an hour perched there . It also appears that his difficulty defecating has to do with the rope perches be so close together . Perched on carrier there EA443E61-C66E-49F3-88D3-D046DF9D15B2.jpeg was no problem .

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Don’t know how I missed these latest updates! :xflove:
he looks wonderful out in the sunshine!:marlenesmile::loveshower:

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
So the lasted is , 24 hours with little or no drugs . I guess the toast is getting predictable . Noticeable improvement in speech and dexterity . What about reducing or eliminating Gabapentin ? . It’s been 5 days with no neuro drugs .
im actually setting up the inside of cage for living quarters . Pics are from favorite area . 1 1/2 hours hanging in the sun perched on rim , and destroying some raw almonds . Plus that’s his bad hand on right . Just Stoked
BBEAAE13-2EA6-4A37-ABEB-1F33F7B1D9A5.jpeg 72A8B7CA-D22A-48D6-9223-F21FF67DE087.jpeg

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hi Scott!

how’s Gandalf?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Seems to be a lot more talkative without the meds . Also balance is getting better , but still struggles with right foot dexterity . Lovin all the toys
promising improvements! He looks really happy to be out in the sunshine again! I solved the mystery of why your updates weren’t showing up in my feed! Your thread got put on ignore accidentally. I pressed the unignore and it’s showing up now. Whew! One of my most important threads to follow! :)

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
Gandalf update . Now spends the night inside cage , and gets out daily in cat carrier for activities . Although now he thinks the top of cage play area is for daytime use . He’s a big hit at the small local airport observation area . Everyone has a bird story . Also now goes for 1/2 hour walks being held .
Received a very cool present in the mail today . It’s already to attach to cage . Thanks again for all the goodies , he’s finally going to get to play with all the hanging toys as well . 4B27700D-8854-4EB0-91EB-418546BA8CCA.jpeg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
This is such a GREAT update and I am so glad he is back inside his very own home. Big hugs to you both, you are such a great Parront!