• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My 35 year old double yellow head is showing signs of concussion

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
No chains at the moment , trying to stick to the rope perches , just ordered four more . He actually used bad foot to scratch head , another milestone .
that’s awesome news! I meant the chain in the Chewy toy. He might like to chew on the wood if you set the toy near him?

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
Here's Casey getting weighed. He's good about staying on the scale.

Here's Casey getting weighed. He's good about staying on the scale.
View attachment 381275

Can you remove the glass bowl from the scale or is that attached? Might be easier to weigh him without that bowl.
View attachment 381275

Can you remove the glass bowl from the scale or is that attached? Might be easier to weigh him without that bowl.
This one dose 11 lbs , so I thinking bigger bowl and favorite chew towel 854BCB84-A615-48C2-8A91-977369E0DD04.jpeg 854BCB84-A615-48C2-8A91-977369E0DD04.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Scott I opened my first bag of Zupreem Pure Fun just now and the fruit tastes delicious but the pistachios are substandard. I can’t give my birds nuts anyway so I’m picking them out. Taste one and you’ll see. Did you try the Harrison’s pellets?

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
Scott I opened my first bag of Zupreem Pure Fun just now and the fruit tastes delicious but the pistachios are substandard. I can’t give my birds nuts anyway so I’m picking them out. Taste one and you’ll see. Did you try the Harrison’s pellets?
Not yet

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
This little guy seems to have recovered mentally , loves his new set up of rope perches . Still struggling with right side foot , but adapting remarkably well . strides three inches in between perches and blowing up big hunks of bark and bones . Much happier about showers when perched , and it’s getting tough to grab back of head for meds .
He's never known flight except for slow downward decent . What about full flight when wing feathers grow in, if no real progress on foot ? Scott
80103EE6-7571-4ED5-961A-D409D2890C07.jpeg C3E7D2D6-7D3F-4933-BC4F-BBAE6BAD1F7E.jpeg ? , probably two plus months .

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
when flighted you may have to give some plants away.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@iamwhoiam wbat do you think of this scale

Scott would this be easier to use than what you got? Using a bone as enticement? So you set the treat on the scale and then turn it on so it zeros accurately.

Last edited:

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
@iamwhoiam wbat do you think of this scale

This guy doesn’t stay still for anything so far . Much like the syringe , it makes him very uncomfortable just seeing it .

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks like a decent scale. I like the flat surface. Do you think it's a bit large, 9" x 6.3", although might be a good size for an Amazon?
Not sure what size the one I have is. Can't measure it now because I'll wake the birds. The one Casey is standing on is the vet's.

This guy doesn’t stay still for anything so far . Much like the syringe , it makes him very uncomfortable just seeing it .
I have a few birds like that. I've sometimes had to use a box that I've poked air holes in and put the bird in there. I don't like doing that. The vet uses a "cooker", not really, but that's what they call it.
It's a stainless steel container with air holes.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
That looks like a decent scale. I like the flat surface. Do you think it's a bit large, 9" x 6.3", although might be a good size for an Amazon?
Not sure what size the one I have is. Can't measure it now because I'll wake the birds. The one Casey is standing on is the vet's.
It’s suitable for a large bird. How to desensitize Gandalf to it?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s suitable for a large bird. How to desensitize Gandalf to it?
Treats are probably the best thing to use. Make the scale enticing.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Treats are probably the best thing to use. Make the scale enticing.
Just set it on the play top with a dish of food on it and no other expectations for now until it becomes part of the furniture

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
Just set it on the play top with a dish of food on it and no other expectations for now until it becomes part of the furniture
The bad foot is a constant struggle for him to calm down on anything . Maybe the cat carrier .

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a small perch that I place on top of my scale. You simply zero it out once the stand is on it. Then transfer the parrot there, just takes a second for a reading.

Vet said to weigh first thing in am before food. Can't happen here like that. Secret is moody. I usually leave her out for hours in the evening and weigh when she's been without food for a while.

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
So I finally got an accurate weight of 398 grams . Very happy that it stayed stable for several weeks . He seems to be getting better at using the perches , and even wants to hang out on my finger occasionally . Got another great bird toy in the mail . Sure hope he gets better enough to chew on them . EB7A3B99-9A5C-4101-ADD3-CC4D8E293C4D.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Looking good! :heart:
yay for stable weight! He won’t chew on the toy if you set it near him? Since he chews up the bark you get him?

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
Looking good! :heart:
yay for stable weight! He won’t chew on the toy if you set it near him? Since he chews up the bark you get him?
He’s not in the cage yet . He actually lives on top , and with four rope perches for constant contact , there’s not a lot of room for toys . I’ll definitely try to introduce them into his grazing area .

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He’s not in the cage yet . He actually lives on top , and with four rope perches for constant contact , there’s not a lot of room for toys . I’ll definitely try to introduce them into his grazing area .
There’s no hurry. He’s looking really good in the picture! How did you get him on the scale?