• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My 35 year old double yellow head is showing signs of concussion

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It can take a while for the appetite to return. You just have to continue trying. I've had birds for many, many years and I've used up a lot of $$$$$ for vet care. I've had birds hospitalized and gavaged (tube fed) at the vet's office. With one of my birds the vet decided it would be best that he be home as much as possible so I brought him in daily for birdie day care and he was gavaged 2-3 times a day. On the weekends I would syringe feed him which was a struggle but at least I got something into him. Took about a week for him to start eating a little on his own at home and then he started to eat more each day. Vet didn't want to stop the birdie day care until she saw him eat and he finally started doing that, as well as chewing up the towel that was on the bottom of the care unit and also trying to fly out of it when the top was lifted. I tempted him with LOTS of different kinds of foods and he finally started getting interested in eating on his own again. His favorite two foods to begin with were Avian Organics Chia Kale Crisps and small pieces of apple. He had lost a lot of weight and it took time but he put back all of the weight he lost (knock on wood).

Most of my birds LOVE Caitec Oven Fresh Bites. Maybe you can pick up a small bag of the medium size and try those with him. You can crush them up if you need to make them smaller or even moisten with some warm water to soften them.

Happy 35th Bird-day to Gandolf!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update , scales will be here tomorrow . Although I’m sure he’s lost some since vet discharge at 3PM Saturday . Sure wish the vet would have called back as stated by call taker at 10 AM that she would .
Sometimes you have to call again and again. Do you have an email address for the vet? I used to email the dogs' ACCESS vets and they usually responded within a day or two.

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
It can take a while for the appetite to return. You just have to continue trying. I've had birds for many, many years and I've used up a lot of $$$$$ for vet care. I've had birds hospitalized and gavaged (tube fed) at the vet's office. With one of my birds the vet decided it would be best that he be home as much as possible so I brought him in daily for birdie day care and he was gavaged 2-3 times a day. On the weekends I would syringe feed him which was a struggle but at least I got something into him. Took about a week for him to start eating a little on his own at home and then he started to eat more each day. Vet didn't want to stop the birdie day care until she saw him eat and he finally started doing that, as well as chewing up the towel that was on the bottom of the care unit and also trying to fly out of it when the top was lifted. I tempted him with LOTS of different kinds of foods and he finally started getting interested in eating on his own again. His favorite two foods to begin with were Avian Organics Chia Kale Crisps and small pieces of apple. He had lost a lot of weight and it took time but he put back all of the weight he lost (knock on wood).

Most of my birds LOVE Caitec Oven Fresh Bites. Maybe you can pick up a small bag of the medium size and try those with him. You can crush them up if you need to make them smaller or even moisten with some warm water to soften them.

Happy 35th Bird-day to Gandolf!
Wow I’ve been so flipped out with solids that I left out his fruit chow . Apples are a big hit , plus bananas , raisins and berries . Thanks for reminding me . Can’t wait to see what he thinks about getting his weight checked .

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Update , scales will be here tomorrow . Although I’m sure he’s lost some since vet discharge at 3PM Saturday . Sure wish the vet would have called back as stated by call taker at 10 AM that she would .
Keep calling back. Call taker might not have passed the message, etc.

Remember to relax while giving/offering food. If you’re tense, your bird will be, too. Maybe put down the food and start doing something else.

Go ahead and apply for Care Credit while you wait - I believe you can do it online.

Weigh your bird first thing n the morning every day and write it down so you can share with the vet.

BTW - what a beautiful bird.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pm me your address if you feel comfortable. I’ll get a basic healthy foods package sent to you
I would strongly suggest you take her up on this. She knows birds. This could help your fellow bounce back.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I would strongly suggest you take her up on this. She knows birds. This could help your fellow bounce back.
I was thinking Oven Fresh Bites, zupreem fruity or Higgins Intune, a couple of treat sticks, a variety of Higgins cook in bag 2oz worldly cuisines, a bag of Harrison’s. Some parrot biscuits. Anything else anyone can suggest?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I forgot the nutriberries! Does he like to hold his food? These are talon size spheres. @Gandolf
im planning to buy them from @Love My Zons Kazoo bird store and she might even give me the SWS 15% early!

Last edited:

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
Keep calling back. Call taker might not have passed the message, etc.

Remember to relax while giving/offering food. If you’re tense, your bird will be, too. Maybe put down the food and start doing something else.

Go ahead and apply for Care Credit while you wait - I believe you can do it online.

Weigh your bird first thing n the morning every day and write it down so you can share with the vet.

BTW - what a beautiful bird.
im on a fixed limited budget , so acquiring more deat isn’t happening. Plus the call taker was relaying what vet said . I hang out with my little buddy all day long , and provide and try to encourage feeding all day as well , he’s just not interested in volume .

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ca

cant really perch and one foot is still pretty bad , so he hasn’t held anything since accident
oh you’re right! Let me get these goodies for your bird. He might welcome the change of diet from lasagna and ice cream. Even your email address will suffice because I can get a gift certificate from Kazoo for you and the owner is a long time member.

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
oh you’re right! Let me get these goodies for your bird. He might welcome the change of diet from lasagna and ice cream. Even your email address will suffice because I can get a gift certificate from Kazoo for you and the owner is a long time member.
Just for the records , lasagna and ice cream are treats , not staple diet . He mainly gets seed mix , nuts and fruits . I wish he would start woofing down chow again .

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Just for the records , lasagna and ice cream are treats , not staple diet . He mainly gets seed mix , nuts and fruits . I wish he would start woofing down chow again .
Good to know! Ps I need some info, check pm please

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ok Chewy order ships quickly, and two items are coming from Amazon April 28 and April 29. Good luck!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he is used to holding food with his foot and can't do that now then that is one reason for the weight loss. Does sound, though, that he is showing some improvement with his foot. Does he let you gently manipulate and massage the foot? Consider giving him some vetri-DMG. This is an excellent supplement for support bodily functions and the immune system.
I use this with a few of my birds. You can check with the vet regarding this.
Does he have any platform perches? Check the vendors here because a few of them sell these and that will help since he is having foot issues and difficulty perching.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
If he freaks out at the scale just set it where he can see it and put a piece of apple on it. Don’t force him to get on if he’s not ready. Good luck and update how it goes. You’re a great dad and he’s lucky to have you!

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
If he is used to holding food with his foot and can't do that now then that is one reason for the weight loss. Does sound, though, that he is showing some improvement with his foot. Does he let you gently manipulate and massage the foot? Consider giving him some vetri-DMG. This is an excellent supplement for support bodily functions and the immune system.
I use this with a few of my birds. You can check with the vet regarding this.
Does he have any platform perches? Check the vendors here because a few of them sell these and that will help since he is having foot issues and difficulty perching.
Maybe sometching skinny ? , he can’t perch on his normal size . Per someone on this site , I try to stretch out foot a couple times a day . He also lets me stroke his back witch is unheard of for this guy . I was only allowed to open head feathers till now .

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
If he freaks out at the scale just set it where he can see it and put a piece of apple on it. Don’t force him to get on if he’s not ready. Good luck and update how it goes. You’re a great dad and he’s lucky to have you!
Whelp the vet finally called back 25 hours latter . Not really enthusiastic with feeding and only could suggest more hospital time or put him down . There’s two avian vets and this ones not really helpful . Thursday’s vet is way more friendly and offers a lot more info . I’m dipping in to next months rent to send him back to hospital. Haven’t received scale yet but I’ve already made an appointment for tomorrow . He seems to be getting a little better every day , so I guess it’s a waiting game till Apitite returns . He hasn’t seen his favorite tree since accident so for his birthday i grabbed some bark off and he recognized it and went to town reducing to sawdust . Thanks for all the input , Scott

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Gandolf

Strolling the yard
Something like this for example: SB-Soapbox
or Platform Perches - from Seriously Nutz Bird Toys
The vendors can sometimes custom size one if you can't find the size you want.

If you are not 100% happy with the vet then do seek out another opinion. You can search for vets here:
Euthanizing him is not the way to go at this point, IMHO.
Avian vets a few and far between , plus the other vet shares different options . I’m going to Home Depot later to gets some different size dowels for test driving feet . Sure would be easier for food dishes . Any thought on something to wrap perch for traction ? He’s a chewer so I don’t want to use adhesive . Kinda limits choices . Thanks , Scott