• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 3 year old Pionus is making baby noises

Aidsky

Moving in
Real Name
Aidensky
Started last week, it’s as if he’s regressing for some reason. It started after I brought him to the vet for a nail clipping. He came home and started making these noises, and now randomly he will continue to make these noises. Is this normal? Wish I could upload a video here so you guys could hear. It’s so strange

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you tried offering some warm mashed veggies or pellets on a spoon for him?

It could be the nail clipped has upset him and he´s seeking a little comfort and reassurance.

@tka ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Make sure he's not in pain from the nail clipping (or something else). When my birds have made that little moaning/whining noise it has been because they are in pain or very ill (feeling sick).

Aidsky

Moving in
Real Name
Aidensky
Make sure he's not in pain from the nail clipping (or something else). When my birds have made that little moaning/whining noise it has been because they are in pain or very ill (feeling sick).
That does make me nervous, he’s had watery poop off and on for a while now, they did a culture of it and it came back normal. I’ve brought up blood work but they always seem hesitant to take any. I may have to find a new vet. He’s a rescue and I’ve had him about 6 months. He just weighed in at 183 grams, I wish I had something to compare it with.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Which species of parrot is he? How old is he? What is his diet?

Aidsky

Moving in
Real Name
Aidensky
White cap pionus, three years old, every morning I make a chop from celery,green beans,carrots,zucchini,blueberries and apple, he also gets zupreme pellets.To be fair though, he’s his usual happy self, chewing up toys, eating a good amount and doesn’t seem to make the noise when I’m home anymore. He did the first day after the vet, now he makes it when I’m not home to my girlfriend who gets very panicked, the minute she starts whistling to him he stops. Personally I’m a hypochondriac so I worry I’m projecting that on my parrot lol. Can’t be too careful though.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I would get his bloodwork done. The average pionus may way up to 250/300 grams, depending on what sources you follow.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
White caps are smaller I think so he maybe OK weight wise but others should jump in with what's normal. Some birds are just skinny like people so keep an eye on him and make sure he's not loosing weight suddenly and keeps about the same weight. Most Maxi Pionus weigh about 250g but Nerd bird was very skinny and averaged about 214 his whole life.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
White caps are smaller so that weight isn't an obvious red flag. What's his body condition like? When you feel his keel bone, is it sharp or protruding?

I'd also be inclined to find an avian vet and get blood tests.