• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 3-4 Month Old Rosy-Faced Lovebird won't eat or drink

chotu_

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone!

My dad found a Rose-faced lovebird yesterday and long story short we're keeping it. (It was definitely a pet that escaped, we asked around but no one had any clue so we brought it home). Took it to the Vet for a general check-up and they found nothing wrong with it. I told them that it hadn't eaten anything yet and they said it will take a day to adjust to the new environment and to give it time.

Now it's been a whole 24 hours and it still hasn't eaten much other than picking seeds from the grounds, we had to hold its beak close to the water so it can drink water today since it hasn't touched the water at all. She's very active, flying around chirping and everything so she doesn't seem ill at all. Now my doubt is, is there a chance that she still has to be handfed?

I hope I can get suggestions soon because I am a paranoid mom and I can't sleep until it eats something. She's running away from food and even seeds. I hope someone can provide me with a solution.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

You know the birds age? On what grounds? Beak markings can vary a lot. As for weaning, some wean later than others.
It it more likely your bird is weaned but scared and a little confused. Leave out seeds, pellets and veggies for them to explore as you don´t know what food they are used to eating. You can try soaking some pellets with warm water and feeding them on a spoon (like formula) to see if they want to be handfed.

It really can take time to adapt.

we had to hold its beak close to the water so it can drink water today since it hasn't touched the water at all
I would advise against doing this. You can splish the water in the bowl with your finger to call their attention. The sound of running water can trigger some birds to bathe and drink, so try clearing the sink area and putting the tap on slightly with a plate underneath.
Most birds are very quick to figure out where the water is. And often, they will drink when no one is looking.
You can monitor if they are drinking water by checking their poops ;)

As it has only been one day, I would still have a go at finding their family.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
A lot of new birds generally do not like to eat and drink when they are being watched or when there is a lot of activity around them when in a new environment. Just leave plenty of food scattered around the cage and a small pile on the bottom. Same goes for water, they'll figure it out.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As it has only been one day, I would still have a go at finding their family.
totally agree with this the best thing for the bird would be to find there family