• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 1 year old caique wont eats pellets or veggies.

Larry

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Larry Lengel
Can anyone help me to get my caique "Kevin" to start eating other things besides seed all the time? Any input would me most appreciated. I can grind up pellets with warm water and he will eat that!! I would like him to eat more healthy.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
This is a common problem because most birds come to poeple on seed-only-diet, I suggest simply just getting your bird use to the new textures, then it will EVENTUALLY click in there head, "this tastes good"

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ideas here:

And a recipe with tips at the end here:

Also, if you've only tried one pellet, I recommend trying another brand as sometimes that helps :)

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
i agree with the trying more then one pellet brand! it’s always good to experiment. and maybe try “eating” it yourself in front of the bird while you’re watching (fake eat it like a baby with veggies) make sure you’re dramatic and completely over the top about how good it tastes and make it seem like they can’t have it. that’s what made my green cheek really consider it

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
and maybe try “eating” it yourself in front of the bird while you’re watching (fake eat it like a baby with veggies)
This is exactly what I did with my lovebird to get him to eat his veg and fruit. I would also pretend to show more interest in the food then him (my bird loves it when all eyes are on him!) and then he would come over and see what all the fuss was about. You could also try birdie bread and bake some vegetables into it or something like that. Hopefully this helps!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Veg smoothies are a favourite here. Just add enough fruit to get a slightly sweet taste. Stand well back. They will devour it all

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Just take it slow, keep offering and maybe your birb will take a bite! A good tip suggested to me a little while back by @Zara was to sprinkle seed over the fruit or veg and perhaps the bird will try the food! :)