• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 1.5 to 2 month lutino cockatiel has a bald spot on his back of head/neck

Shivang

Moving in
Real Name
Shivang
I got the 1.5 to 2 months old Lutino cockatiel 2 days ago and it seems that she has a bald spot on back of her head/neck, she has these pointed hairs or something pointy on the bald spot.

I am not sure if this is something concerning, please help! I attached the photos of her.

Attachments

birbmom23

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Fariha
It's quite normal for lutino cockateils to have bald spot behind their crest. it is actually a fault that happened while producing this mutation. they tend to have thinner feather or sometimes bald spots behind their head. Thats also why it is never a good idea to pair lutino with lutino. You should pair lutino with a normal yf gray that has a split to lutino to produce lutino babies that have less balding

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Lutinos often do have a bald spot but I always thought it was more under the crest than back of the head. That looks like more of back of the head to me, unless I am just seeing the angle wrong. I am wondering if another bird plucked him?

@CeciliaZ ? @Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree, that seems to low for where Lutino’s usually have sparse feathers. Could she have bumped her head on something or been picked on by another bird?

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Lutinos were inbred by unethical sellers which led to this condition. It can indicate future health problems and shorter life spans. However the more negative impacts have largely been bred out now.

My tiel is a lutino male with a bald patch, I notice he is less co-ordinated than other birds due to his genetic history. He is a happy loving little boy so I just help him get around a bit when I need to and give him the best home I can.

I purchased him online during a lockdown and would not have done so had I known at the time. Honestly though I love him now and he is my best friend. I wouldn't part with him for a fully feathered tiel. I just focus on keeping him active and providing him with a varied diet.

I wouldn't have him any other way cos he is a sweety :heart:

takatiel

Moving in
a bald spot or thin spot are very common in lutinos due to a history of inbreeding :( i believe it's genetically inherited but i may be wrong! they seem to be most common behind the crest, but i've seen a few lutinos have their spots a bit lower on the head which looks like it's the case with your bird. the pointed hairs look like they're just pin feathers in the process of developing!

my lutino pearl hen has a thin spot in the shape of a heart! she's perfectly healthy even though she looks like she pays mortgages, so i wouldn't worry too much about it <3