• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 1.5 months old cockatiel not taking formula, she is eating seeds by it's own

Shivang

Moving in
Real Name
Shivang
Yesterday i got a lutino cockatiel, it's name is phoenix (i don't know the gender as the pet shop owner said it can be told after 4-5 months), i am giving him seeds and he drinks clean water.

He is able to eat and drink on his own and also through my hand when i pick him and put some seeds on my other hand.

But he refuses to eat the formula, he turns his head other way when i try to feed him the formula.

I tried to use syringe and also spoon but it doesn't seem to work, when i tried to put him on the back and tried to put syringe into his mouth she got very scared and flew.

Is this behaviour normal? Is he weaned now? Pet owner says it is completely fine if he is eating seeds and drinking water only as of now and not eating formula and asked me to wait for sometime before starting to give fruits and vegetables.

I added some photos.

Plz help..thanks.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So its not impossible to force wean a cockatiel at 6 weeks old. Usually they want to continue 1-2 times a day at that age, but I would say as long as he is eating well it's probably okay. (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Are you only offering seeds? I would start offering veggies and some pellets at this age also as it will get harder to introduce them the longer they go without exposure to them.

Also is that the carrier or their full time cage?

Congrats on your baby!

Shivang

Moving in
Real Name
Shivang
So its not impossible to force wean a cockatiel at 6 weeks old. Usually they want to continue 1-2 times a day at that age, but I would say as long as he is eating well it's probably okay. (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Are you only offering seeds? I would start offering veggies and some pellets at this age also as it will get harder to introduce them the longer they go without exposure to them.

Also is that the carrier or their full time cage?

Congrats on your baby!
Thank you, i am only offering him seeds only because pet shop asked me to wait for sometime before giving veggies and fruits.

Yes that is the full time cage, she also refuses to go inside the cage and wants to be outside.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As long as they are eating the seeds it is okay to offer other good foods.

If they are going to spend any amount of time in the cage beyond just sleeping, it needs to be at least 1.5 x their wingspan wide, and 1 x their wingspan deep. This is so they can stretch their wings. Once you add toys and perches, that space starts to dwindle very quickly.

A cockatiel has a surprisingly wide wingspan for their size, averaging about 19.5 inches (49.5 cm) so they need a cage at least 29 inches (74 cm) x 19.5 inches (49.5 cm).

Shivang

Moving in
Real Name
Shivang

If they are going to spend any amount of time in the cage beyond just sleeping, it needs to be at least 1.5 x their wingspan wide, and 1 x their wingspan deep. This is so they can stretch their wings. Once you add toys and perches, that space starts to dwindle very quickly.

A cockatiel has a surprisingly wide wingspan for their size, averaging about 19.5 inches (49.5 cm) so they need a cage at least 29 inches (74 cm) x 19.5 inches (49.5 cm).

You are right, i was feeling that the cage is small, i will get it replaced.

Shivang

Moving in
Real Name
Shivang

It would be great if you could suggest me what are some vegetables and fruit i can give to him and any good pellet product which is delivered to India.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It would be great if you could suggest me what are some vegetables and fruit i can give to him and any good pellet product which is delivered to India.
I'm not sure what is all available in India. Here are my articles on veggies and pellets

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels tend not to eat fruit. I would focus on vegetables. Because she's young I would start with softer things- like chop as suggested, or some cooked mashed sweet potato, leafy greens, etc. My tiels also like Higgins Worldly Cuisine mixes. I am not a baby tiel expert, but that bird looks older than 6 weeks to me..... (And she's very cute.)

@Tiel Feathers @Princessbella @Ripshod ?

Shivang

Moving in
Real Name
Shivang
Cockatiels tend not to eat fruit. I would focus on vegetables. Because she's young I would start with softer things- like chop as suggested, or some cooked mashed sweet potato, leafy greens, etc. My tiels also like Higgins Worldly Cuisine mixes. I am not a baby tiel expert, but that bird looks older than 6 weeks to me..... (And she's very cute.)

@Tiel Feathers @Princessbella @Ripshod ?
Thank you so much for the help, i will start with cooked mashed sweet potato, can we also give banana and carrots to cockatiels? And yes she is very cute and friendly.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you so much for the help, i will start with cooked mashed sweet potato, can we also give banana and carrots to cockatiels? And yes she is very cute and friendly.
Yes, both are fine if she will eat them.