• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Muttering/Scratchy Mouth Movements

Aaron.C

Moving in
Real Name
Aaron Cowper
Hello,

I'm a new owner of a cockatiel (Sasha) and shes actually pretty cool. I was not sure what to expect and so far after a couple of days, I've noticed she loves cuddles and nudges on my cheek and sticks her head in my ear when she relaxes on my shoulder when i work at the computer. Seems to be very compassionate which was a surprise to me (Not a bad surprise) as i thought birds just did their own thing, The only thing i am kind of wondering about is when she is in her own space during the day and listening to some soft music she moves her mouth a lot like shes talking but i can hear scratchy muttering.

Is this behaviour normal? is she unhappy being by herself for those short periods?

One other thing, Sometimes she puffs up and has a little tremor, i may be overthinking it but not sure what this means.

Aaron.C

Moving in
Real Name
Aaron Cowper
I think Sasha is grinding beak, which is perfectly fine. But, can you post a video?
When it happens ill try and grab a video, she sometimes does it in my ear. Sounds like whispering but.... Clicky whispering.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Beak grinding is generally done when relaxing and feeling content.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! It sounds like she's pretty darn happy so far :) I remember being totally amazed by my bird's beak grinding the first time I heard it; it's such a unique sound and I love it.

I've heard that ruffling all their feathers and kinda shaking their body like a wet dog is a way to relax/release tension, kind of like people sigh.