• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mutilation is scaring me

Thistler

Checking out the neighborhood
I don't know what to do. I have two parakeets. They're my firsts and they're coming up on their 2nd birthday with me. My girl has been plucking for months and I've been trying to get her to stop. The vet confirmed it was hormones. I'll admit that I've been slacking on play time because of work and school. Now she's bleeding/skin-picking/mutilating herself and I don't know what to do! Obviously I can take to the vet again, but what else are they going to tell me except to put a cone on her or keep giving her medication? She won't even let me touch her. I've been thinking that I simply can't take care of her. She doesn't even like me that much. I'm trying to get into a routine with her and try out new foraging techniques, but I'm scared that it will take too long and she'll just keep hurting herself each second I don't!
I hate this so much. I don't know if I should give her to someone better at this than me. The idea hurts my heart.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What does bump mean??? :(
Bumping is so that the thread can get seen by more people ;)

I have no advice other than just keep trying with the vet, a cone/collar and medication is your best option right now

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Her mutilating has absolutely nothing to do with you personally. I recommend that you go to a vet and insist that they examine your bird for possible physical causes for the plucking and mutilation. Many cases of mutilating plucking are caused by physical issues.

Thistler

Checking out the neighborhood
Bumping is so that the thread can get seen by more people ;)

I have no advice other than just keep trying with the vet, a cone/collar and medication is your best option right now
Her mutilating has absolutely nothing to do with you personally. I recommend that you go to a vet and insist that they examine your bird for possible physical causes for the plucking and mutilation. Many cases of mutilating plucking are caused by physical issues.
Alright, I'll drive her to the vet then and see what we can do for her. Thank you both so much for helping. In a related matter, my other budgie, who I assume to be male, doesn't really play with her much and I feel like somewhat related to her plucking. He sings and flirts but rarely with her. Would it be wise to add another flock member to keep her social while I'm gone during the day?

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I dont think adding new member will help her, birds have the tendency of secluding the sick one( it's natural, survival of the fittest) . My friends budgie has similar problem, he's trying fluoxetine syrup now. Vet visit is only option, budgies have very little blood in their body. If the picking causes much blood loss, it can be fatal.