• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Mutilating

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
good luck with the cream!

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
So happy to hear this! It was only possible with your effort :).I was just about to ask for an update.

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
Glad it's healing

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now that Target's wound has a scab, do you think it would be safe to give her a bath? She hasn't had a bath in over three weeks, poor smelly dino girly.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I wouldn't because the scab will soften and might come off prematurely! Just my opinion of course. Once the scab comes off on it own I would give it a couple of days! I'm thinking of when I had plastic surgery, they make you keep
area dry until all scabing is gone and area is completely healed.

Last edited:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't because the scab will soften and might come off prematurely! Just my opinion of course. Once the scab comes off on it own I would give it a couple of days! I'm thinking of when I had plastic surgery, they make you keep
area dry until all scabing is gone and area is completely healed.
Thanks for the tip! I'll hold off on her bath for a little while longer then :)

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So glad all went well! It's so nerve racking and stressful!

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Target pulled the scab off :sad3:

She was so good with her stitches... why did she have to go and pull the scab off??

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'm so sorry to hear that :(. I hope things get better! Stop scaring your mom and get better, Target!

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just when I thought we were near the end... :( There's a gaping hole again, though not nearly as big as before. This one is pretty small comparatively.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hopefully it will scab over! Did it bleed?

Heather F

Aww oh no! :sad11:

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
Oh no you spoke to soon, awww target bad birdie.. sending wishes it heals quickly and target doesn't pick again

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Awe boo! Target sweetie leave your boo-boo alone so you can get all better, okay? :heart::hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The scab is the start of that healing-itching thing. :-(

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I haven't known what to say thus far, just thinking good thoughts for you and Ms. Target!

On the wound healing front, the trend now in human medicine is for a moist wound healing environment. I recently had a nasty wound on my thumb area and we treated it with the moist method.....I have to say the difference is night and day! Recovery has been rapid, virtually painless (on an area that is constantly being moved) and almost pleasant.

It has been discovered that scabs actually impede healing. Not to mention the tightness and itchiness in the healing process (which I am sure would be a target for a picky bird). For my wound I was advised to do a bandage change twice a day and clean the wound with plain old soap and water each time, pat dry and apply a layer of Vaseline before reapplying a sterile nonstick dressing. Like I said above, the healing process was incredible and I will never go back to letting it "breathe" and scab over.

I'm not sure if there is a way to successfully approximate this for a bird, logistics may just not be there and of course suitability would also depend on the site of the wound. But the scabby tight, sore, itchy healing spot would just be a magnate for a bird to pick and dig and reopen for a long time I would think. Just something to think about on your healing journey.:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I haven't known what to say thus far, just thinking good thoughts for you and Ms. Target!

On the wound healing front, the trend now in human medicine is for a moist wound healing environment. I recently had a nasty wound on my thumb area and we treated it with the moist method.....I have to say the difference is night and day! Recovery has been rapid, virtually painless (on an area that is constantly being moved) and almost pleasant.

It has been discovered that scabs actually impede healing. Not to mention the tightness and itchiness in the healing process (which I am sure would be a target for a picky bird). For my wound I was advised to do a bandage change twice a day and clean the wound with plain old soap and water each time, pat dry and apply a layer of Vaseline before reapplying a sterile nonstick dressing. Like I said above, the healing process was incredible and I will never go back to letting it "breathe" and scab over.

I'm not sure if there is a way to successfully approximate this for a bird, logistics may just not be there and of course suitability would also depend on the site of the wound. But the scabby tight, sore, itchy healing spot would just be a magnate for a bird to pick and dig and reopen for a long time I would think. Just something to think about on your healing journey.:hug8:
Now that you mention this I too keep my wounds covered and moist. I stumbled across it quite by accident. Being in construction I get booboo's all the time and the hands are always dirty. I used to clean them and let them scab over and had the tight itchiness. I would always ding it and get it dirty too.

So I decided to leave it covered and kept ointment on it. Same result. No itchiness and healed quicker.

Now trying to accomplish that with a parrot is going to be quite the undertaking.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No blood, thankfully.

Thanks everyone :) Not sure if I can keep the site moist though... That area is not easily bandageable.

I towelled her to put the cream on this morning and she nearly removed my finger! :eek: Doesn't look too bad, not very deep, not very large.