• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mutations and plucking

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I know there are studies that found that mutation parrotlets are more sensitive to diet. I feed holistic for the most part, so I don't think that Harper's plucking is caused by the diet, but I'm wondering if mutation parrotlets (or any mutation bird for that matter) are more likely to pluck? My vet said that most parrotlets pluck at some point, so her being a mutation might have nothing to do with it, but has anyone found that mutations pluck more than natural colored birds? :confused:

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I don't know anything about mutations plucking but why did your Vet feel that most parrotlets pluck at some point?

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
She just said that a majority of the parrotlets she sees start plucking when they reach sexual maturity. She said that the owner can do everything right, and they still pluck.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
That's interesting I wonder how many people here with parrotlets have experienced that.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Yeah, it could be completely coincidental too I think, because they might be bringing the bird in because of the plucking. I didn't ask too many questions about it.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I only have green, they're mature but Don't have a clue to their age other than "breeding age" and they haven't plucked.. of course I've only had them several months, but the lady I got them from Never mentioned them plucking.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I just did a quick search and found this article. She says that stress and hormones cause many parrotlets to pluck.
Feather Picking

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
that makes sense, wonder if it has anything to do with their size? since they're so small maybe they really can't handle stress (no matter how small or big it may be) as well as their bigger counterparts?

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I think that some species are more susceptible to being stressed also. IE: most budgies I know of do get stressed, but get over it quickly and go back to their normal selves whereas stress may bother parrotlets more.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I think parrotlet plucking probably has far more to do with parrotlet personality than size or anything else. It's all about how they handle mental (and occasionally physical) stress and it seems like they're just more sensitive to it than some other birds, both bigger and similar in size to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.