• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mustrum Stepped Up!

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Okay, it wasn't the most graceful of step-ups but he did let me get first a stick and then my finger under his feet (separate occasions, we didn't switch perches in mid-lift) and the second time he let me move him over to the bowl where the mini spray of millet was waiting for him. Getting him to step off and go have some millet is still a bit of a work in progress, but, honestly, I'm amazed that we're here.

And that it was Mustrum is surprising in itself. Esmerelda's the brave one about going out of the cage, even if it's just to hang out dozing on the open door. Mustrum by contrast thinks that cages are optimized for his needs and comfort and so some days doesn't come out at all. When he's out, he's pretty motivated about coming over to see if I have anything interesting (I usually do) in the way of treats. But just by virtue of being out more, Esmerelda's the leader on points for coming over for a bit of millet. She also thinks I make a good climbing range (when I'm sitting with my feet propped up, not when I'm in any way mobile) and that my Kindle must be tasty or why would I spend so much time staring at it? So, I would have thought Esmerelda would have been the first one to see the value in recruiting me as an on-call local taxi service.

And, to make it even more of a milestone, both Mustrum and Esmerelda flew several circuits around their larger enclosure, something Mustrum at least has always thought was too dangerously radical to do outside the cage.

I'm sure the next couple of days they'll both be like, "yeah, no that wasn't us. We don't leave the cage *ever*." Still, it's such amazing progress for them.

For those who can't tell the players without a score-card, Mustrum and Esmerelda are the bourke's parakeets who joined my quaranteam mid-October of last year. I'm sure they weren't hand-fed, and bourkes don't have a reputation for being super interactive, so I'd accepted that they might not want to be touched.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like wonderful progress :)

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Congrats!! So happy to hear! :cngrt5:

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Honestly, the first few step-ups are so rewarding...and then all the step-ups after that! Just remember to treat it as a trick until your bird has been doing it for awhile.:loveshower:

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Thanks. We've had a bit of a step-back since they moved into their aviary. They don't seem at all worried about my presence (in fact when they're in fly mode they seem to play a game of Bourke's "Chicken" to see who will fly the closest, without actually touching, to me) but I can't recall that Mustrum has been willing to even eat a spray of millet that I hold up to him, since taking the keys to their new digs. They have, once or twice, come to visit if I'm sitting in their chair with a spray of millet in my hand, but they're much less interested in doing that than they used to be.

Of course, that could just be that they feel that if it's in their home it's *their* chair and what am I doing hogging it?

2021-05-06 09.31.19 (2).jpg

Ob. safety: the chair doesn't live in their aviary. I only leave it in there if I'm going in and out and I'm not leaving my apt.