• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mustangs and more...

Sundae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hi! I just joined the Avian Avenue. I have a bird and two dogs and am half leasing a horse this summer, volunteering at horse camps, taking lessons, working for lessons at stable, and sitting in on mustang training. I wanted to know what people thinks one has to know before training a wild mustang. I would only halter break it so no riding. I am passionate about horses and animal training.
I know a few mustang trainers and could be mentored by them. I could keep my mustang in a pen in my neighbors stable for free. How much horse experience do I need to achieve my goal?

Thanks!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome to the avenue!

I can't help here, hopefully someone will be along soon who can!

Gigibirds

Well I do a lot of riding and stuff but I have never tamed a wild horse. I would guess you need a LOT of experience! Is there a particular horse/wild mustang forum somewhere? Sorry that I couldn't help much, but welcome to the avenue!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I have been riding horses for for about 15 years, and have finished training a green broke filly before, but I have never fully broke/trained a horse, or even halter broke one. I think it really depends on how much help and mentorship you can get from the people you know who have experience with breaking/training horses. Most people I know send their young unbroke horses to professional trainers for 90 training to get them started, and then they will "finish" them themselves once the 90 training is over. With the right advice, help and experienced mentors I'm sure you can halter break your mustang with lots of patience.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Google Alexandra Kurland who uses force free training methods including clicker training.