• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Must Rehome My Cag

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm assuming the best option for Hawk12237 would be to see what we can do for a caravan, if he only had to travel half the way I'm sure that would much better than coming all the way here to Texas.
I wouldn't mind the drive, but it's the weather this time of year. if all possible if nothing materializes right now we could wait till spring. I'd still be open to getting rosita. Not sure if airlines will fly this time of year for parrot.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If the carrier can be stowed under the seat in front of you, then they are allowed. We flew our eclectus in the cabin. The downside is that during the security check, you may be asked to take the bird out of its carrier, so wearing an avian harness is a must.

Thomas M.

Sitting on the front steps
I don't think going in the cabin will work for Rosita either. Whenever I take her to the vets I have her in the carrier and she's okay for the first few minutes but then she starts getting loud as she wants out so I'm sure there would be complaints on the plane for sure. As far as putting a harness on her that won't work either as she's not one for allowing that. She'll take petting and head scratching and all those lovable things but it has to be on her terms.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I have flown with a bird before in the cabin, but yes, the conditions are that you need be be able to fit the carrier under your seat and they need to not be too disruptive. I was flying with my parrotlet Curtis so the carrier size wasn't an issue, but the TSA made me take him out to scan the cage in a room without a roof! He was flighted before the trip but I anticipated they might do that and had his wings clipped for safety safe in the airport and I'm glad I did because it was so scary having to take him out of his cage in such a gigantic, chaotic place (Denver airport)! He thankfully was a good boy and only squirmed and nipped me a little while I was holding him, but the TSA folks can be really unsympathetic to unusual requests like needing an enclosed room. It helped somewhat having us fly during hours where he would usually be sleeping, so he was tired and didn't make a lot of noise. But it was kinda tough.

If you want my advice, I think it would be a good idea to wait until spring to be sure that no big snowstorms interrupt her traveling, either by car or plane.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have flown with a bird before in the cabin, but yes, the conditions are that you need be be able to fit the carrier under your seat and they need to not be too disruptive. I was flying with my parrotlet Curtis so the carrier size wasn't an issue, but the TSA made me take him out to scan the cage in a room without a roof! He was flighted before the trip but I anticipated they might do that and had his wings clipped for safety safe in the airport and I'm glad I did because it was so scary having to take him out of his cage in such a gigantic, chaotic place (Denver airport)! He thankfully was a good boy and only squirmed and nipped me a little while I was holding him, but the TSA folks can be really unsympathetic to unusual requests like needing an enclosed room. It helped somewhat having us fly during hours where he would usually be sleeping, so he was tired and didn't make a lot of noise. But it was kinda tough.

If you want my advice, I think it would be a good idea to wait until spring to be sure that no big snowstorms interrupt her traveling, either by car or plane.
Yea, I was thinking spring too, with the holiday travel coming up, weather a bit unpredictable this time of year. I think it would be best to wait. I took a trip several years ago out that way around this time of year, and it turned into an extra several days. Stuck in a foot of snow on freeway that came to a dead stop. No one went anywhere for like 24 hours on freeway. Snowed like heck. Never doing that again!
As for airports....lol...you haven't been to Detroit. That's a cluster pile there. Atlanta comes in second.
Hate that place. Wouldn't subject a bird to either place.
That would be like cruel and unusual punishment. And the TSA could give a flying flock.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yea, I was thinking spring too, with the holiday travel coming up, weather a bit unpredictable this time of year. I think it would be best to wait. I took a trip several years ago out that way around this time of year, and it turned into an extra several days. Stuck in a foot of snow on freeway that came to a dead stop. No one went anywhere for like 24 hours on freeway. Snowed like heck. Never doing that again!
As for airports....lol...you haven't been to Detroit. That's a cluster pile there. Atlanta comes in second.
Hate that place. Wouldn't subject a bird to either place.
That would be like cruel and unusual punishment. And the TSA could give a flying flock.
I'm willing to wait till spring too, black ice this time of year is no joke up in northern states. I'm not fond of driving in snow that far of a distance either especially when it has been rather unpredictable lately.
But Thomas has put postings in local bird shops in his area to attract someone local for Rosita. And I understand.
the distance is a concern with bird.

Kikiki

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm willing to wait till spring too, black ice this time of year is no joke up in northern states. I'm not fond of driving in snow that far of a distance either especially when it has been rather unpredictable lately.
But Thomas has put postings in local bird shops in his area to attract someone local for Rosita. And I understand.
the distance is a concern with bird.
Why not fly out, rent a car to pick her up, and fly back with her under your seat. Increased cost, but easy on everybody, no?

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
My mom flew with her conure, in her jacket most of the way. Granted he was much smaller, but I know some airlines will allow you to bring your bird, in a carrier, of course.
I have a backpack carrier to transport my birds, but I don't fly unless necessary. So they have only gone on short jaunts.
Would it be as cheap for someone to fly with Rosita in a carrier, as gas for the convoy? Motels would not be necessary if doing a convoy.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Why not fly out, rent a car to pick her up, and fly back with her under your seat. Increased cost, but easy on everybody, no?
It's not the cost that bothers me, it's the stress on the bird.
But I'll look more into it...right now I have a bird headed to vets today and quite possible she's going under surgery.
So that will be in another thread. Right now I'm a bit nervous about this.

Thomas M.

Well it looks like a rehome is pending for my girl. Someone contacted me on Thanksgiving eve and wanted to come for a visit to see her. Of course he fell in love with her as I knew he would. He presently has an Amazon that he's had for about 10yrs and has always wanted a grey too. The person is in his mid 30s so my girl should have plenty of years to grow old with him. I now have to deal with this giant lump in my throat as the day grows closer for me to have to say good bye to someone who has made me laugh, taken showers with me, made me mad and a bunch of other sorted feelings. Only with Gods help will I make it through this. :)

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a bittersweet time. My thoughts are with you. Thomas be sure to do a home check, vet check and reference check and everything else you can check, OK?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well it looks like a rehome is pending for my girl. Someone contacted me on Thanksgiving eve and wanted to come for a visit to see her. Of course he fell in love with her as I knew he would. He presently has an Amazon that he's had for about 10yrs and has always wanted a grey too. The person is in his mid 30s so my girl should have plenty of years to grow old with him. I now have to deal with this giant lump in my throat as the day grows closer for me to have to say good bye to someone who has made me laugh, taken showers with me, made me mad and a bunch of other sorted feelings. Only with Gods help will I make it through this. :)
Sorry I couldn't take her, the weather hasn't been very cooperative to take a drive from here to texas and back.
But glad you found her a good home.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It's the hardest thing! But I know you have to or you wouldn't have done it in the first place. Maybe stay in touch with the new owner?
I hope all goes well for you and your wife.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like the perfect person to give your sweetie all the love and care she deserves. Hope you can stay in touch with each other. Think about staying here with us. I know you have bird knowledge to share with others. I no longer have birds due to health issues.

Thomas M.

Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments. As it stands now Jan. 11th will be the day I say good bye to my girl as per the new owner and that will be a day I'll always have in my heart just like the day I got her. I met the previous owner in a Walmart parking lot to close the deal and every time I pass by that Walmart I think of that time. Such is life I guess, I have truly been blessed. :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments. As it stands now Jan. 11th will be the day I say good bye to my girl as per the new owner and that will be a day I'll always have in my heart just like the day I got her. I met the previous owner in a Walmart parking lot to close the deal and every time I pass by that Walmart I think of that time. Such is life I guess, I have truly been blessed. :)
Have you been to their home?

Thomas M.

No I've not been to their home but he was here to see my girl and we talked for quite a while. He has sent me pics and videos of him and his Amazon. He lives 150 miles from me so seeing his place isn't possible at this time but when we take my girl to him which is the plan, I will of course see what needs to be seen and if something doesn't look right the rehoming will be canceled, but I really don't expect that to happen as he's been pretty up front and honest with me. I even offered to lower the rehoming fee and he said absolutely not as he himself feels bad that I'm having to do this.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
No I've not been to their home but he was here to see my girl and we talked for quite a while. He has sent me pics and videos of him and his Amazon. He lives 150 miles from me so seeing his place isn't possible at this time but when we take my girl to him which is the plan, I will of course see what needs to be seen and if something doesn't look right the rehoming will be canceled, but I really don't expect that to happen as he's been pretty up front and honest with me. I even offered to lower the rehoming fee and he said absolutely not as he himself feels bad that I'm having to do this.
Is there a way for you to set up a video chat? Or something that can show you his home. Do you know anyone that lives close that can do a home inspection of sorts?
I am not saying this for any reason but for concern.
I have been involved in quite a few abuse/rescue/hoarding things in the past couple of years. People can say whatever they want, or act however they want. It doesn't mean it is true. I know your love your bird and I just want to make sure that she goes somewhere safe and is as loved as she was with you. People lie.