• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Musical instruments?

Erestyl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua
Hey everybody! I have a question. I don't have a bird yet, but I'm about to and I have a few questions. For this thread, my question is, how do parrots like musical instruments?

Specifically, I play the piano, violin, viola, ukulele, and harmonica. We also have an acoustic and an electric guitar player in the house. Which of these instruments is she likely to like or dislike? I read an article that said that birds universally hate electronic dance music, so I expect to have to tell my dad to be conservative with his electric guitar, but other than that what what should I expect?

In case you're curious, the bird I'm going to meet on Tuesday is a sun conure :sun: named Mango who's being rehomed because her loving owner doesn't have time to spend three hours a day with her anymore. I can't wait to meet her and get to know her! :D And play music for her... if she likes it ;)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Most birds seem to like music. Parrots are actually the only animal besides humans known to dance (at least without training). The problem may be if she decides to scream along with the music. Perhaps that's what the article meant - they interpreted the screaming as disliking the music?
If she's used to a quiet home, I would try to get her used to loud music gradually, as with any major change.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on your upcoming addition!

Most birds do like music...and some will begin to "sing" along with the instrument. Like @karen256 said, let Mango hear different forms of music over time...she will probably let you know when she hears something she likes...;)

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I too am a musician, and have yet to find an instrument that Boba dislikes. He does sing along and dance, but he gets rather loud after a little while. The electric guitar hasn't been a problem either, as long as you keep the feedback to a minimum, and the volume at a reasonable level mango should be fine with it. Congrats, and I hope you two have fun, and healthy lives together.
Sam and boba

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My conure LOVED techno/electronica/dance, so I'm not sure how much that is true!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My daughter also is a musician, and plays a wide variety of instruments. My birds seem to ignore most of it, but sometimes they get a little loud when she plays the oboe. I'm sure your bird will get used to it as long as it's not too loud.

Erestyl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua
Thanks for the feedback y'all! I'm glad this won't be an issue.