• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Murphy doesn't like trying new things but he gave lettuce and celery a go.

WillowNMurphy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
(Oh wow, I haven't been on AA since March last year... oops.)

I was in a dark place for a bit (everything's fine now) and mum was taking care of Murphy for me most of the time, but since I'm better I've been giving Murphy his chop lately and making him late night snacks... most of the time he takes one look at it and turns his beak up at it.. This time he decided to eat the carrot and celery (with stringy bits taken out of course) and tried lettuce. Not really the richest chop but it was an evening snack for him while I played Sims.

How do you get your birds to like veggies? Murphy is so fussy and won't eat veggies often, I offer things he doesn't like from time to time, just in case he's changed his mind and I change up the size and whether or not it's peeled... But he just doesn't want anything most of the time.

murph eat the carrot.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's a great start! My tiel loved all kinds of lettuce. You can also try some cooked sweet potato is he's eating carrots. I would just keep adding some new vegetables to the ones he's already eating. And you can try making birdie bread too and putting vegetables in there. (And I'm glad you're feeling better.)

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I send my veggies into the food processor for a few whirls, and then sprinkle in some hemp hearts, chia seeds, and other stuff I know they like -- including crumbs at the bottom of their nutriberry bags. I have even use the bottom of the bag dust from almonds and cashews ;)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He’s so cute! Maybe try first thing in the morning or at dinner time, but make sure all his other food is out of his cage or eaten 45 minutes or so beforehand.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy's bigger than your little one, I give him celery sticks but make them thinner than what you may find in w/ chicken wings...

WillowNMurphy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
That's a great start! My tiel loved all kinds of lettuce. You can also try some cooked sweet potato is he's eating carrots. I would just keep adding some new vegetables to the ones he's already eating. And you can try making birdie bread too and putting vegetables in there. (And I'm glad you're feeling better.)
I send my veggies into the food processor for a few whirls, and then sprinkle in some hemp hearts, chia seeds, and other stuff I know they like -- including crumbs at the bottom of their nutriberry bags. I have even use the bottom of the bag dust from almonds and cashews ;)
He’s so cute! Maybe try first thing in the morning or at dinner time, but make sure all his other food is out of his cage or eaten 45 minutes or so beforehand.
thank you all for your advice and tips, i went to the store today with my dad (had to get school supplies afterwards) and i was eyeing some bread mixes and reminded me that birdie bread exists. mum and i are working on more fresh veggies and fruits for him!!