• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Multivitamin for my bird (collared dove)

Robin B

Moving in
Hi! I have been recently looking into finding a multivitamin supplement to complete my dove's diet. She eats seeds (previous home raised her on seed, otherwise I would be giving pellets) and I also give her chop. Info on vitamins is hard to find, especially for doves and pigeons. If anyone knows some good brands of healthy supplements that go with food, preferaby with vitamin D and A, I would love to hear it! Thanks :)

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
I use a vitamin suppliment for my birds intended for seed addicted birds, just a few drops to their water-- would you be interested? i can go get the bottle and check out the brand. as ive been told suplliments that go on seeds are somewhat useless since they eat whats in the seed, not whats on the outside-- i may be completely wrong tho! im sure they would get some of it when they put it in their beaks..

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi! I have been recently looking into finding a multivitamin supplement to complete my dove's diet. She eats seeds (previous home raised her on seed, otherwise I would be giving pellets) and I also give her chop. Info on vitamins is hard to find, especially for doves and pigeons. If anyone knows some good brands of healthy supplements that go with food, preferaby with vitamin D and A, I would love to hear it! Thanks :)
Hey. Just a thought - have you tried to feed your dove pellets? I found mine love pellets over seeds for some reason - I wasn't even going to switch them but they started eating food I had out for my Tiel and I realized that they really liked them (specifically Zupreem pellets). Another dove parent I ran into the other day had the same experience with her dove so it's worth a shot :)

I use a vitamin suppliment for my birds intended for seed addicted birds, just a few drops to their water-- would you be interested? i can go get the bottle and check out the brand. as ive been told suplliments that go on seeds are somewhat useless since they eat whats in the seed, not whats on the outside-- i may be completely wrong tho! im sure they would get some of it when they put it in their beaks..
Good point however doves don't hull their seeds so I don't see where that would be too big of a problem.

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
Hey. Just a thought - have you tried to feed your dove pellets? I found mine love pellets over seeds for some reason - I wasn't even going to switch them but they started eating food I had out for my Tiel and I realized that they really liked them (specifically Zupreem pellets). Another dove parent I ran into the other day had the same experience with her dove so it's worth a shot :)

Good point however doves don't hull their seeds so I don't see where that would be too big of a problem.
Oh, really? I didnt know ♡

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Damien! :heart:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Find products from Beyers and they have a lot of good stuffs for pigeons.

Robin B

Moving in
That's interesting! I've never heard of doves actually LIKING pellets after eating seeds but maybe I will try it. Did the doves like the Zupreem over another brand or is that just the one you have? I kind of wanted to go for TOPS Organic pellets...

Robin B

Moving in
I was hoping for one for her food, since (as someone else mentioned) doves don't shell their seeds, they just eat them whole. I change her water so often that I'm worried she wouldn't get much of the supplement. But I would still be interested to see the what you give your birds, maybe I'll check it out. If you could tell me the brand that would be awesome :D

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That's interesting! I've never heard of doves actually LIKING pellets after eating seeds but maybe I will try it. Did the doves like the Zupreem over another brand or is that just the one you have? I kind of wanted to go for TOPS Organic pellets...
Mine were very easily converted :) I do find they like the zupreem fruities over the Tropicans I try to get them to eat but once they're on one type of pellet I think it's easy enough to introduce others as well. My guys get seeds as well btw; I think doves should have seeds for 50 or so percent of their diet at least. I think you can get little sample bags from some brands, I think Zupreem is one of those, so you can just try em out and see if your dove goes for em.

Robin B

Moving in
Mine were very easily converted :) I do find they like the zupreem fruities over the Tropicans I try to get them to eat but once they're on one type of pellet I think it's easy enough to introduce others as well. My guys get seeds as well btw; I think doves should have seeds for 50 or so percent of their diet at least. I think you can get little sample bags from some brands, I think Zupreem is one of those, so you can just try em out and see if your dove goes for em.
Ok awesome thanks so much :D