• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Multiple lovebirds

Ima❤️Bird

Moving in
Real Name
Vanessa
Hello,
I am new here!!! And not very experienced with more than one bird at it time.
I had a little feather friend for 17 years. Squeaky was his. He decided it was time to go to bird heaven and I wasn't ready for that.
At first, I didn't want to get another one but two months have passed and now I got TWO!
“Baby” is the baby hand-fed him and we are SUPER-bonded LOVE IT And “Blue”, whose family was giving him up for adoption, and I couldn't turn him down. It's a 1-year-old, not tamed, not too friendly but a beautiful little guy. I've been working with him and soon he should be comfortable in our home.
My dilemma is I haven't had multiple birds and I know they will bond with each other and live me hanging if I'm not careful. Can they hang out in the same room in separate cages and couple hours of the day fly around together? Or they should be always separated and never see each other? Can I bond with both of them?
Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi and welcome
I have three lovebirds there’s quite a few that have 2,3,4 @Zara as 6

pico my hand fed lovebird is super bonded to me isn’t bothered about the other two I think he likes the company but I also think he would have been happy on his own

indie and mango are tame but are more into each other follow each other everywhere they come to me for millet do tricks land on my arm shoulder but are definitely more independent and it’s on their terms as pico always withme when he’s out they have out of cage time together all three under my supervision pico is definitely the one left out though but I don’t think he cares

I am definitely part of the flock though if I leave room they flock call me or come find me

Did you Quarantine your new bird in a different room from your old lovebird for a month ?
After this move them into same room let them hear and see each other let them out together see how they get on
Just because you have two doesn’t mean they will bond but you would like them to get on makes life easier but also be prepared for them not to and have separate time out of cages
Have you got any pics of your lovebirds love bird pics

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
If you build your relationship with them based on trust and respect I don’t see why you could not have a good relationship with both:) It might be easier to bond with them while they are not yet a pair(if they will even like each other, have they met already?), but some birds are more likely to approach you with the support of a friend whereas alone they can be terrified. There are some stickies in the training court that have valuable information about bonding with nee birds:)
I have had two bonded pairs, and now also a pair of friends rather then bonded mates.

Ima❤️Bird

Moving in
Real Name
Vanessa
Hi and welcome
I have three lovebirds there’s quite a few that have 2,3,4 @Zara as 6

pico my hand fed lovebird is super bonded to me isn’t bothered about the other two I think he likes the company but I also think he would have been happy on his own

indie and mango are tame but are more into each other follow each other everywhere they come to me for millet do tricks land on my arm shoulder but are definitely more independent and it’s on their terms as pico always withme when he’s out they have out of cage time together all three under my supervision pico is definitely the one left out though but I don’t think he cares

I am definitely part of the flock though if I leave room they flock call me or come find me

Did you Quarantine your new bird in a different room from your old lovebird for a month ?
After this move them into same room let them hear and see each other let them out together see how they get on
Just because you have two doesn’t mean they will bond but you would like them to get on makes life easier but also be prepared for them not to and have separate time out of cages
Have you got any pics of your lovebirds love bird pics

Ima❤️Bird

Moving in
Real Name
Vanessa
THANK YOU and yes I have LOTS OF PICS!!!!!
I guess I am on the right track. I just now starting placing them side by side in the same room. Blue the adopted one is coming around slowly but, he is coming around. He doesn’t fly yet, they had his wings clipped so he can’t explore as much especially when he doesn’t trust me yet. But, I think he has been enjoying being next to the Baby. Baby (little spoiled brat) on the other hand, loving showing off his flying skills when his out of the cage.
If you build your relationship with them based on trust and respect I don’t see why you could not have a good relationship with both:) It might be easier to bond with them while they are not yet a pair(if they will even like each other, have they met already?), but some birds are more likely to approach you with the support of a friend whereas alone they can be terrified. There are some stickies in the training court that have valuable information about bonding with nee birds:)
I have had two bonded pairs, and now also a pair of friends rather then bonded mates.

Attachments

Ima❤️Bird

Moving in
Real Name
Vanessa

Ima❤️Bird

Moving in
Real Name
Vanessa
Thank you you guys SO MUCH!!!! I guess I’m on the right track
I feel part of the FLOCK now

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
THANK YOU and yes I have LOTS OF PICS!!!!!
I guess I am on the right track. I just now starting placing them side by side in the same room. Blue the adopted one is coming around slowly but, he is coming around. He doesn’t fly yet, they had his wings clipped so he can’t explore as much especially when he doesn’t trust me yet. But, I think he has been enjoying being next to the Baby. Baby (little spoiled brat) on the other hand, loving showing off his flying skills when his out of the cage.
they are so gorgeous keep us updated sounds like you are on right track just keep interacting with them both and you will be part of their flock

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Baby is gorgeous!! Blue is very handsome too. Seems like things are going well:)