• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Multiple female ekkies???

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I know there's not too many ekkie people left who are active, but..

I know my birds, we went from keeping Mel and Basil 100% away from eachother to them being best friends, they enjoy eachothers company heavily, but still would much rather ours.

Mel and Basil still live with my dad as I felt awful taking her away from her little green bestie, and I go over there daily to hang out with them anyway.

I do plan on moving in the next 5 years (I know, I just bought my house. I wasn't ready to leave my hometown until I did... funny how that works..) I do plan on taking Mel possibly when I do that.

But onto the topic at hand, I saw a post a couple days ago in a localish parrot group. It's about rehoming a female ekkie who plucks and was found in a tree about 15 years ago. There's not much info about her but I'm sure I could get some if I messaged the lady. But she's been one of those birds you cant stop thinking of once they're in your mind for me. I still think about this little goffins cockatoo in the bird rescue I saw when I was 16ish sometimes.

But my question is, I've done some of my own research but it's not super conclusive, but should I be able to keep Mel and another female eclectus in the same room/house/be out together without issues? I know of course it depends on the birds themselves but from a general standpoint what would you guys say?

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I know there's not too many ekkie people left who are active, but..

I know my birds, we went from keeping Mel and Basil 100% away from eachother to them being best friends, they enjoy eachothers company heavily, but still would much rather ours.

Mel and Basil still live with my dad as I felt awful taking her away from her little green bestie, and I go over there daily to hang out with them anyway.

I do plan on moving in the next 5 years (I know, I just bought my house. I wasn't ready to leave my hometown until I did... funny how that works..) I do plan on taking Mel possibly when I do that.

But onto the topic at hand, I saw a post a couple days ago in a localish parrot group. It's about rehoming a female ekkie who plucks and was found in a tree about 15 years ago. There's not much info about her but I'm sure I could get some if I messaged the lady. But she's been one of those birds you cant stop thinking of once they're in your mind for me. I still think about this little goffins cockatoo in the bird rescue I saw when I was 16ish sometimes.

But my question is, I've done some of my own research but it's not super conclusive, but should I be able to keep Mel and another female eclectus in the same room/house/be out together without issues? I know of course it depends on the birds themselves but from a general standpoint what would you guys say?
I think it’s possible if introduced very slowly and one at a time. I think you need to gather more information on the bird before making such a big decision. Glad to see you around!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I think it’s possible if introduced very slowly and one at a time. I think you need to gather more information on the bird before making such a big decision. Glad to see you around!
Yeah for sure! Definitely need more info on her before deciding. Thanks!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Let us know what u decided it is hard when you see a recuse and know u could help have to do what’s right for you

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have found males are very easy to house close to one another. Females are the red balls of fire and prefer their cage is theirs and no one else can go inside. Even their "mates" can get attacked during a hormonal swing. I dont see an issue with ladies in the same house just dont expect them to be BFFs more like Plastics who get along bc they are at the top but talk about each other behind their back :)