• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Multiple Conure help

maekis

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Malee Copeland
I have a GCC at home and I've been thinking about getting another GCC as a companion. Today I went into my local pet shop and saw 2 GCCs which appeared to be bonded because they were in "separate" cages but sitting next to each other. I say "separate" because there's only a glass divider separating them and both were pushed of next to the glass sitting next to each other. I started to cry because it made me really sad to see them separated and I couldn't bear to think of them being separated forever. I cried all the way home and I need some help determining whether or not this will end up being a terrible idea if I get these 2 conures. Some advice would be greatly appreciate. Picture of my current sweet greencheek. My current baby just turned 7 months was by herself when I got her (not DNA tested) and these other GCs appear to be under 1 year.

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@webchirp has many greenies and most are paired up. Hopefully she can give you some insight. Your baby is so gorgeous :heart:.
A Turq Greenie is a long time dream of mine

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dont be upset as they are seperate you have assumed they are bonded as they are sitting next to each other this may not be the case.
Also the glass divider may be necassery to stop any agression between them and potential injury to them both. I have two gcc they happily spend time together playing with each other and preening each other however they dont get left alone when out and both get returned to seperate cages each night.
As much as they both get on i have had to seperate them on occassion as they have started to annoy each and things get pretty aggressive quite quickly and thats when they are out and can choose to fly away from each other if they where caged together and no one was about things could be very different.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Adding to what’s already been said:

My two cheekies will sit next to each other on their play stand. If they’re both busy, or something’s in their mouths. And they’ll sit next to/side by side each other (each in their respective cages) at night. But in no way, shape, or form are they bonded. Matter of factly, I’d say they squabble almost enough to warrant a deal of supervision. You wouldn’t guess that though- you’d take one look and think they were soulmates with how they sit next to each other with cage bars between them.

If you’re thinking of adding to your flock, do remember that at least 30 days of quarantine for the new bird(s) away from your current bird. And it’s very possible that a new introduction may not instantly (.or ever)get along with your current bird.

maekis

Real Name
Malee Copeland
So I ended up getting the two at the pet store. They are bonded and can't seem to get close enough to each other. I am keeping them separate from my current baby. Just worried about them being bonded and integrating my current baby with them. They are reportedly 7 months old so right around the same again as my current baby. Update on my current t baby as well, she's in great health and is female . Here is a current photo of the new babies, we just got them yesterday. (Slowly transitioning them to chop)

Attachments

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good to see you got your birds :)

I would ask however you can gurantee they are bonded at the moment ?
My two get very close to each other one has now stared to feed the other however i still have to intervene during sporadic periods of aggresion.

If they are bonded whilst this is great you will have to be extra dilligent when introducing to your initial bird.
You definately need to plan for seperate out of cage time, you need to plan on intervening if out of cage birds get on caged caged birds cages as they can and will fight furiously through the bars.
Are they DNA sexed ?

You need to take things slowly

maekis

Real Name
Malee Copeland
Good to see you got your birds :)

I would ask however you can gurantee they are bonded at the moment ?
My two get very close to each other one has now stared to feed the other however i still have to intervene during sporadic periods of aggresion.

If they are bonded whilst this is great you will have to be extra dilligent when introducing to your initial bird.
You definately need to plan for seperate out of cage time, you need to plan on intervening if out of cage birds get on caged caged birds cages as they can and will fight furiously through the bars.
Are they DNA sexed ?

You need to take things slowly
I haven't had them sexed yet but will soon. I believe they're bonded because they don't like being separated. They call out to each other if they are and they try to get back to each other. They do do the feeding thing and often mimic each other. They do have their squabbles but nothing serious.

Just to clarify are you talking about having separate out of cage time for the "bonded" pair like one stays in the cage and the other goes out? Or are you just saying keeping the two separate from my current baby.

I plan on quarantining them for 30 days so we have time. Definitely not trying to rush this.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine don't like being separated if I leave the room with Mojo for example KiKi screams for Mojo, if I leave the room they both scream for me , my wife used to take Mojo for a shower regularly she can't now as KiKi gets to distressed.
they in my opinion are not bonded as they both enjoy interacting with us either on there own or together we are a flock of four me my wife Mojo and KiKi . The strongest bond within our flock would be me and Mojo if she is with Leeks or my wife if I call her she comes to me.
Bonding is much more than that it is when the bird defends there bonded partner with aggression eg. Mojo not allowing me to touch KIKi Or attacking my wife for coming close to me.
Everything sounds very positive though, do you have them in separate cages ?