• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mulled wine safe?

lauraeliza

Sitting on the front steps
Hello! This is probably one of those overly paranoid questions, but after a good half hour of googling I can't find it addressed anywhere. I know simmer pots are safe around birds, but has anyone simmered mulled wine? I just wanted to make sure any burning off of the alchol wouldn't be an airborn irritant before I made a pot for a party tonight.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I have never simmered mulled wine but it shouldn't be a problem. I've seen some other members mention it!
Enjoy :drinks42:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you are concerned, you could move your birds to a different area of the house, then put a fan in-between both sections of the house and blow air back towards the kitchen where you are cooking your wine.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’ve made it, I didn’t find that it had any effect on them. I did mine over low heat, so it wasn’t quite at a simmer though

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We make it regularly but we always have exhaust fans going whenever anything is heated in the kitchen.

lauraeliza

Sitting on the front steps
Thank you all so much for your replies!! I'll keep her in the other room and have the fan going to be safe ☺

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I ended up buying air quality monitors that look for different types and sizes of particles when I needed to have my windows replaced. It didn't register anything abnormal when I made mulled wine. So far it only has when I was almost burning pan-fried toast ;)

Mulled wine is so yummy! Good thing my neighborhood store is closed today or I'd be tempted to buy a bottle of Garnacha and make some!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
So far it only has when I was almost burning pan-fried toast ;)
When I was pregnant, I had the weirdest craving for pan fried toast - like frying it in A LOT of butter. So it was all buttery and crispy and horrifically bad for me, but man was it so good.

….I’m on a diet I’m on a diet I’m on a diet….

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
When I was pregnant, I had the weirdest craving for pan fried toast - like frying it in A LOT of butter. So it was all buttery and crispy and horrifically bad for me, but man was it so good.

….I’m on a diet I’m on a diet I’m on a diet….
That sound so good :p