• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving with Lorikeet: Advice Needed

Rio72

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I wasn't sure where to ask this but eventually found this forum.

I am intending to move out of home in just over a year, but need to start looking into this now to decide whether it is safe for me to take my lorikeet with me or if he will have to stay with my mum.

I know for some animals moving large distances can be detrimental to their health but can't find if this is the case with lorikeets? I intend to move from Cairns to Brisbane if that helps with the idea of the distance and the differences between the climates and weather.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How are you moving? I moved my budgies and cockatiel in the back of my car from Tasmania to Kalgoorlie and then from Kalgoorlie to Melbourne with extra birds along for the return trip. If you take into account all that your bird will need then you most certainly can travel with your bird :)

Hope my answer is helpful ;)

Keep in mind the temperature differences between Tasmania and Kalgoorlie and also Kalgoorlie to Melbourne. Much more extreme than Cairns to Brisbane :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Instead of water for the time you are actually traveling you may wish to use a slice of orange, piece of apple, watermelon or whatever wet fruit your bird likes (so the water does not splash all over your car and leave him without a drink) and make the extra effort to stop frequently to give him a chance of a proper drink of water and little leg rest. My birds actually did not mind the car and had done many earlier smaller trips. I suggest making sure your bird is car comfy, work on taking him to close places well before you have to move so he is familiar with the car and not stressed by travel and the things he will see and hear while travelling- it will make your actual trip less stressful for him.