• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kackington

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katherine
Hey there!! The last time I made a post on this forum I was moving for the first time, and here I am, planning on moving again. :laugh:
Anyway, hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice from those living with parrots in California, specifically Los Angeles. (Feel free to talk about your experiences even if you aren't in LA specifically!!) I've lived my entire life in South Carolina. I've never had to deal with earthquakes and the water and air quality is good here. I plan on moving into an apartment in LA for work sometime in the future (after things get back to normal). So, I was hoping to hear from your own experiences on living out west with your fids.
Here are some questions I want to ask:

I have a Honeywell HPA300 for my bird room, would this air purifier be good enough? What kind of air purifiers do you use, if any?

What kind of water filter do you use for your tap? How's the water quality? I usually use bottled water for my birds, but I use the tap to clean their bowls and toys, so I was curious if the water was safe to use.

Also, my two cages are on wheels. What kind of things do you use to keep their cages secure and safe for earthquakes?

I've always been very... neurotic when it comes to my birds safety so I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered already on the forum. I went through and tried looking for threads with answers to my questions and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask myself. :) Thanks so much, and I hope you all and your fids are staying safe!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck with your move. People seem to be moving out of CA rather than into CA. In fact, I would like to move out of CA. :D
I have a Honeywell HPA300 for my bird room, would this air purifier be good enough? What kind of air purifiers do you use, if any?
I use a Rabbit Air BioGS and a BioGS 2.0 as well as a Therapure. The HPA300 is probably fine as long as it will work with the square footage of the room where you will be placing it. Consider getting an additional air purifier for living room/dining room area.

What kind of water filter do you use for your tap? How's the water quality? I usually use bottled water for my birds, but I use the tap to clean their bowls and toys, so I was curious if the water was safe to use.

Birds get bottled water but I clean their bowls, toys and cages with tap water. Water quality depends on where you live in LA.
It's a big area. :)

Also, my two cages are on wheels. What kind of things do you use to keep their cages secure and safe for earthquakes?

I don't have the cages secured to anything. When there are earthquakes the upstairs shakes more than downstairs and the birds up there get scared. Birds downstairs don't react as much as the ones upstairs.

Kackington

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katherine
Good luck with your move. People seem to be moving out of CA rather than into CA. In fact, I would like to move out of CA. :D
I use a Rabbit Air BioGS and a BioGS 2.0 as well as a Therapure. The HPA300 is probably fine as long as it will work with the square footage of the room where you will be placing it. Consider getting an additional air purifier for living room/dining room area.

Birds get bottled water but I clean their bowls, toys and cages with tap water. Water quality depends on where you live in LA.
It's a big area. :)

I don't have the cages secured to anything. When there are earthquakes the upstairs shakes more than downstairs and the birds up there get scared. Birds downstairs don't react as much as the ones upstairs.
Thank you so much for your insight!! Yeah, I'd love to stay here in SC, but unfortunately my industry is pretty much just located in CA. Keeping them happy and healthy is one of my top priorities so hearing how others live out their with their fids really puts my mind at ease. Again, thank you so much!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much for your insight!! Yeah, I'd love to stay here in SC, but unfortunately my industry is pretty much just located in CA. Keeping them happy and healthy is one of my top priorities so hearing how others live out their with their fids really puts my mind at ease. Again, thank you so much!
At least there are no hurricanes here so you will escape from that.