• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving to Florida

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
So, my husband and I are having a house built in Parrish Florida. Once the construction is completed, we have to move with our 38 year old Amazon Sam. I am looking for advice on the best way to get Sam from NYC to Florida, a trip of approximately 1300 miles. We plan to drive down once everything is loaded on the moving truck. My question is whether it would be better to drive right through using two drivers to get there quickly, or to go slow and stop several times on the way. Please give me any advice you may have about travelling with an elderly parrot. Just a note, Sam is used to being in the car with us as we had two homes and traveled 2 hours between them many times. He has a great travel cage with a small playtop where he can come out and have food and water in a hotel. Thank you in advance for any advice. Anita.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I drove from Nevada to Pennsylvania with my birds. Stopped each night, and had no problems at all.
Since you bird is used to the car, I'd say make the trip an enjoyable one.
Most of the motels (long L shaped ones) are less expensive, you can often park in front in front of your room, and they don't usually have problems with small pets. I did scope out available ones before I left and planned to reach each by early evening.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
When we traveled with Nikki, my CAG, I always looked at the route we were taking to see what CAV were around. It never hurts to be prepared. Nikki loved to ride in the car. Wishing you a safe journey.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
We did stay some nights at motels but we always asked to see the room first, check for air quality, many use heavy cleaners. Just a pet peeve of mine.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
My old YCA George loved to travel, though we never went as far as you will be going. If I were making that trip, I would want to stop for the night along the way to give everyone, including Sam, a chance to rest and recharge. George enjoyed spending the night at motels and made new friends among the desk clerks and housekeeping staff wherever we stayed. It would be a good idea to inspect the rooms first to make sure they would be parrot friendly and safe.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awesome. Hope Sam enjoys the weather in Florida!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If Sam is used to being in the car with you, you shouldn't have a problem. We drove from Chicago, IL, to Palm Coast, FL with the birds in the van. We ended up sleeping in the van at a rest stop as we brought 20 birds with us. I believe you should be okay to stay in a motel. The main thing for Sam is that he knows your vehicle and is used to it. Plus he'll be with his parronts (you).

The other reason we slept in the van was that I didn't want to upset my fids by unloading them at night to sleep in a motel/hotel.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
This is a total non-brainer!

NYC to Florida requires just one night hotel, unless you’re one of those nuts who can drive it straight through. With pets, you gotta stay at
South of the Border, right off 95, on the NC/SC border:

The place has all sorts of accommodations, including car port rooms where you pull you car right up to your room. And it’s the coolest 1950s kitch/vibe ever with several shops and restaurants.

Last edited:

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Parrish sounds real nice, Manatee County. But it ain’t New York. Real quiet. And they pull the sidewalks in at midnight.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Parrish sounds real nice, Manatee County. But it ain’t New York. Real quiet. And they pull the sidewalks in at midnight.
And the problem is???

Just kidding. I’m in Punta Gorda,Fl with 9 pm sidewalks. Seriously.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And the problem is???

I lived in a town in Missouri that closed their restaurants at 5ish.

• Haha
Reactions: Ira

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
And the problem is???

What is all the references to sidewalks about?? How do they pull them in? I’m soooo lost lol

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What is all the references to sidewalks about?? How do they pull them in? I’m soooo lost lol
I take it that the shops close up.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Well, with Covid our sidewalks have been gone for a long time. We figured if we have to stay home anyway, may as well do it in a new house with a pool, hot tub and outdoor kitchen! I am sure Sam will love sitting outside in the screened pool area with us.