• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving/road trip with budgies

Nimbus

Meeting neighbors
Hey everyone! I've had my two budgies, Sam & Pippin, since March. In those 8 months, we've come a long way together! They readily eat from my hand, love (a select few) veggies, and hop onto my laptop to scream at my online classes.

My family will be moving pretty soon, hopefully around the end of the semester. Being a minor, I obviously won't disclose my specific location, but I'll be looking for an avian vet and bird shops, etc in the Idaho area.

We own two dogs, but we'll be driving two cars, so separating our animals shouldn't be an issue. I've had my birds in the car before, but never for longer than 20-30 minutes.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello! So, I took a road trip with my budgie boys recently, and there is a whole thread with advice I received and my experiences. Look for Necessary Road Trip on about Page 3 of this sub-forum. I can’t link it using my phone at the moment :)

Nimbus

Meeting neighbors
Hello! So, I took a road trip with my budgie boys recently, and there is a whole thread with advice I received and my experiences. Look for Necessary Road Trip on about Page 3 of this sub-forum. I can’t link it using my phone at the moment :)
Oh, I should have searched for threads before posting, whoops! Thanks so much!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! You are welcome to ask any question here!! I just thought you might like to read through it too :)

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I would try to calm them before and during the trip. The day before I would get them a full day of activity’s so they can sleep in the car if they are tired. I have never taken my birds on trips before so I don’t really know what to do, sorry.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Buy a couple of those little clip book lights from Dollar tree to use at night time while you are driving! (so they can see in the dark) Make sure no swinging toys are hanging in their cage while you're driving (in case you have to suddenly break. You don't want them getting hit with anything & getting hurt!) Make sure to have extra food and extra water just for them! If they like music play their favorite music. Make sure to have their cage covered on all sides except for whichever one will see facing you (if they relax when they see you) if you won't eat any food just give them treat's so they at least have something in their tummy!

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good Luck!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My road trip was 2 days worth of driving each way. I would stop about every 1.5 hours to give them a break from moving and see if they would drink. When they weren’t drinking, I would mix a bit of their seed in with some applesauce or wet chop to provide some fluid.

I had hoped that they would accept a soft-sided carrier prior to this trip because it is safer in case of an accident, but that didn’t happen. At first, I kept the rope perch as close to the bottom of the cage as possible so that they wouldn’t fall far is that happened. But they clung to the sides of the cage and exhausted themselves during the first day of driving because they wanted to be as high up as possible. So, for the second day of driving, I raised one side of the rope perch, and they were much happier and tolerated the drive much better.

And yes, I tied the toys so they wouldn’t swing and covered the cage on 3 sides so they could see me and not much else :)