• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving multiple small birds - ideas

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is good to know they do/did make them that way. Thanks. Mine (petco brand) are definitely all rusted.
Yeah mine actually lived outside in the full extremes of the weather and never showed any sign of rust anywhere.
It really is such a pity that so many things are made cheaply for convenience instead of being made well for life now.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Not much to add except that I personally much prefer a carrier that has a perch in it. When my babies moved, Phoenix was meant to go into like a closed cat carrier without perches - she got so scared I couldn't stomach it. I'm pretty sure she would have had a complete meltdown. Damien was "ok" in it. I don't think they like having to be on a slippery, shiny (moving) surface especially in a scary situation. Unfortunately I have found that most smaller bird carriers that you can add perches into are really flimsy. I have used one that I really liked that was just a small guinea pig (or the like) cage. Much sturdier. And I always cover cages with black blankets.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
much prefer a carrier that has a perch in it.
The cage I got for Nubes last vet visit I put a nice perch in it for him and he likes that too. Adelie gets a blanket on the floor, she can´t grip a perch in a moving vehicle.
It is definitely why I´d prefer something cagey :)

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Has that thing overheated? Does the plastic hold up to folding or chewing? It looks like it wouldn't be very long lasting.
So far it's been okay. I've been mindful of it overheating though since we live in a warm climate. The plastic is actually a hard shell - it does not fold at all.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
The red in the photo at the beginning does seem like it could pop open, so how about tying a belt or something similar such as the carry strap webbing from a gym bag, to stop it from popping apart, if that is all you end up with. The belt would not interfere with the stacking either…just a thought….

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think @webchirp at one point bolted a few cat carriers together, one on top of the other, so that she could carry more than one in each hand. Put them on a hand truck /dolly and you even have wheels!
Yes I have two bolted together…ahem actually sets of two bolted together. I covered the inside where the bolt goes through with a whiffle ball in case they bonked their head on a bolt.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're concerned about them popping open, zip tie the parts together. Just be sure to pack your wire cutters on your person so you can free them when you get to your destination.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've been thinking about this a lot. And when I was out today I saw cages like Nubes vet cage. So I've picked up two more. Hopefully they will be OK in pairs and I'll get Gis the enclosed type carrier.
I'll have the cages out for them to play in while I'm still at home before the move. And I can put some softer type toys in each :)
These are 25x20x31
IMG_20210714_164701.jpg
Obviously the swing has gone in the recycle box and I've saved those plastic perches (great if I ever have to set up a hospital cage or for DIYing)
IMG_20210714_164713.jpg

IMG_20210714_165155.jpg the other advantage of these cages is they have feeder doors so if I get stuck out somewhere I can put water and food in.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Those look great! Enough room to get away if there are minor squabbles as well. Hope the birds will like it too!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:lol: well clearly I didn't think things through....

The good news, the cages all fit in the bag! :yes4:

The bad news, I need a way to block between cages, maybe a thin piece of plastic slid between each or tie strapped to the cages. I can't go anywhere with pair in cages so close together, someone would get hurt

IMG_20210714_171658.jpg

IMG_20210714_171810.jpg

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
:lol: well clearly I didn't think things through....

The good news, the cages all fit in the bag! :yes4:

The bad news, I need a way to block between cages, maybe a thin piece of plastic slid between each or tie strapped to the cages. I can't go anywhere with pair in cages so close together, someone would get hurt

View attachment 388749

View attachment 388750
Yeah. Seems high probability to pinch a toe.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
You can try putting some of those styrofoam peanuts in strategic places maybe.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Seems high probability to pinch a toe.
I´m more woried about bites.

I had a rummage around and thought that plastic folders could work. I have some I use for picking up or dropping of paperwork and they are empty and very thin, a bit bigger than A4, but birds won´t be able to get through them. I´ll give them a good clean first :)