• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving multiple small birds - ideas

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looking for some ideas on moving a small flock of birds at once.

I will be moving house soon, and it will be the perfect oppourtunity to exercise a practice run of an emergency evacuation. I will be moving a little inland where the fire risk is extremely high in the summer so really need this perfected.

I read an article where they put lots of small travel cages in a large bag to carry and I´m hoping to recreate something like that. I have a large shopper bag, and also large IKEA bags I could try to use, I was thinking I could have 4 side by side (Blue team) or in twos, then Ade, Sydney and Gis all on top. I will have to measure the bags.

I saw some travel cages, they have cage on two sides and plastic on the other two so they could be good to have the birds and their partners side by side, and then the plastic will (somewhat) block them from seeing the other pairs.
30x18x20 cm

Alternatively I saw these;
28x20cm/H18cm
and I quite like these... but that means the bonded pairs won´t be able to see each other, and there´s no perch in them. But they look sturdier.

Both of those carriers are about the same size.

Has anyone used or have these carriers? Are they any good? Is there another option? Other decent carriers? Anyone had a bonded pair in a couple of these?

I´m looking for ways to quickly evacuate everyone on my own. I do drive, and have a small cage in the boot of my car. If I had to evacuate my new place for whatever reason, I would be coming back to this building to my parents place, and there´s lots of shops around here selling cages (though not great) should I be stuck here for more than a day.

All ideas and input appreciated! :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would go with the second one, not sure if I have told you before but I have the red one. I use it under strict supervision but it is not well made. If I use it I hold it because it is just not the best, if used a bit roughly(obviously without the birds in it!) the bars come apart from the metal. I have secured it with tie wraps.
There is also the top door, with mine there is a gap of 1 cm when closed, so that's not great. I use a clip that ties it closed when I use it.
I have brought the boys in it on 0,2-1,5 hour drives, it did the job there. They came on a holiday with us recently due to circumstances. Xena likes the pack o bird best so she gets that one. A bigger travel cage for the car is not that practical right now, I prefer holding them close. Nothing can happen if supervised, I move them from the house to the car and back to the house, but for your purpose I wouldn't feel secure. Some of your birds are more mischievous I think, if the top is not secure and they try, I think they wouldn't have a lot of trouble opening it. I have a clip on it but they could still open it partly, though I know they are very unlikely to be ever interested in it and I am right there as back up.
If you can't find a nice bag to fit them all in, perhaps a large dog crate to stack the cages in? I think the round cages are a bit more difficult to stack, but also the pairs wouldn't see each other which could add stress perhaps? You know your birds best of course, good luck figuring out a good plan!
This is the best picture I have of mine right now. I had to 'assemble' mine and put the bars between the plastic frame, but it doesn't fit snugly and with certain movement it slips out. I drilled some holes in it for tiewraps, this was before that.
IMG_20210610_093756722.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thankyou Robin! Very helpful insight!!

You have Henkie and Feanor in together? I have read people say not to put pairs together in emergency situations. So now I don´t really know. If I could keep my pairs together, it would mean 4 cages instead of 7 and the pairs could see each other the whole time. Much better
Would testing the water be cruel? I don´t know. What if I put my pairs in the small travel cage I have, and see if they´re ok in there together. I really think my boys would like having their gf´s nearer, but I don´t know if the girls would get nippy :(

The other pro for this cage is that because it has bars, I could attach a good perch and a soft (ie not wood) toy in the corner...

Edit; I thik Gisli would like the enclosed thing better, because he´s quite the scaredy cat, so I think I´ll buy him one of those type carriers.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I use this (similar to the red one, but much better quality and sturdier): You & Me Small Pet Carrier Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 9.03.17 AM.png

The way I like to move Pistache is in this carrier. But for the lovebirds, it's a bit more challenging. I haven't had to move them yet, but I will need to soon enough. So I plan on putting each pair of lovies in their own container(same one as pic), so right now that would mean 2 containers, each with 2 birds. But I do plan on getting some mesh/wire to make a little barrier in the center. That way they can still see each other perfectly, and be very close, but if one of them freaks out it can't hurt the other bird. I haven't actually tested it out yet, but that's my idea! Good luck! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think @webchirp at one point bolted a few cat carriers together, one on top of the other, so that she could carry more than one in each hand. Put them on a hand truck /dolly and you even have wheels!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You & Me Small Pet Carrier
Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 9.03.17 AM.png
Oh I think I might´ve seen something of this shape, obviously it´s a different brand for me. Do you have the measurements? Is the close strong? Or does it need reinforcing?

bolted a few cat carriers together, one on top of the other
Ooh that´s a good idea! There were some carriers I saw that I could maybe do something like this with..

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Winston came home in a carrier that looks much like the second one you posted. He was fine. :)

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
I'm curious as well about the potential issues that could arise from moving pairs in the same enclosure during an emergency. I'd assume for most bonded pairs it wouldn't cause that much added stress or risk of injury but I don't truly know for sure.

How quickly do you think you could not only catch each pair but also get them into the same carrier without risking one escaping? I know trying to put multiple birds in one carrier can be difficult since the first bird may take the opportunity to try and escape when you go to put the second bird in... Do you think that would be an issue for you? I'm just thinking that maybe, if it's faster, using one bird per carrier would be better in that sense? It still depends on the other variables though, like you mentioned, with trying to move more carriers at once and in a time efficient manner...

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
What about some small pet carriers that some use for small cats? it might be expensive to get a bunch of those special bird crates. But maybe these are a bit cheaper. Hope you find a good solution!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hmm, I have two boys so thats different of course. I would test the water, with supervision nothing could go terribly wrong right? I had a dog crate that I used before going smaller, so I knew they did well in that. Honestly I was still a bit naive when going with the smaller carrier and it never occured to me they would fight in it. I worked with them over a period of time to go into it, then be comfortable with it being partially closed etc. Once they were in it we went outside for just a couple minutes and moved it up from there.
It is a difficult problem with multiple birds, in an emergency I will gently grab the birds and put them in the carriers. I put in one, get the other and gently put him in while I block of the entrance with my other hand. I have had to do it once when there was a fire near and I didn't trust the situation.
You know the breeder cages with divider? I think they are often used for songbirds, sometimes they have up to 4 components in one cage. An idea perhaps if you decide to go with having each bird in an individual cage. I am never sure how big they are as I have never seen them in real life.

Gigibirds

Do you have the measurements? Is the close strong? Or does it need reinforcing?
Length: 12.75 inches/32.385 cm
Height: 7 inches/17.78 cm
Width: 7.75 inches/19.685 cm

The close so far has proven to be very strong, and I have not needed any reinforcements. The edges all line up, there are no gaps, its easy to disassemble and clean, etc. It's pretty great in my experience!
But obviously you should just get whatever container your birds are comfortable with that you can quickly get them into.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How many birds are we talking?
3 bonded pairs and a single. Thinking of putting the lone bird in one of those UFO looking ones because he´s frightened easy and blocking most of the view might be better for him.

It's pretty great in my experience!
Thanks, that´s helpful. Over the weekend I discovered a weird hybrid garden centre/pet shop and they seem pretty good in the bird department, they might have these dome ones I can look at in the shop. I´ve never been before, I´ll head on over this week :)

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My main concern with cheap travel cages is that they can pop open with minimal force.

I would go with plastic cat/dog crates for the stackability option (can also modify to add perches easily). Or the celltei line of bird carriers which are ideal because they are purpose built. Both options would be safer for birds when on the go. I myself did not go with the cat/dog crates because I am not sure the metals on them are zinc free.

Also, if using a bag to carry them, I would worry about oxygen.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My main concern with cheap travel cages is that they can pop open with minimal force.
This is definitely soething I´m looking into. Would hate for any escapes.

I myself did not go with the cat/dog crates because I am not sure the metals on them are zinc free.
This is what has kept me away from this option. Sometimes it´s hard to get a clear answer from the manufacturers.

Also, if using a bag to carry them, I would worry about oxygen.
The bag I had in mind has no top. It´s just a large shopper, so if any cages opened, the birds would be able to fly out into the world. I have multiples so I can fit all the birds cages on the base using two bags.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I have one for my Bourkes somewhat like the red one you posted. It works good for them but I was concerned about it breaking open so I put small budgie cords on it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
All the cat crates I’ve ever had have had SS wire fronts. They aren’t galvanised metal and they don’t rust or bend. I’ve had a few over the years with all the pets I’ve had and all the ones I’ve had were definitely not gal

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
All the cat crates I’ve ever had have had SS wire fronts. They aren’t galvanised metal and they don’t rust or bend. I’ve had a few over the years with all the pets I’ve had and all the ones I’ve had were definitely not gal
Do you remember brands? The ones I have for catsdog are all chrome plated to look like stainless steel.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you remember brands? The ones I have for catsdog are all chrome plated to look like stainless steel.
Most of mine have been bought from the airline freight place as the times I’ve really needed them to transport animals have been on flights where the carrier must be of a certain quality and style.
I don’t even have one anymore to check for a brand name I’m sorry, I gave them all away after my last cat was put to sleep because I don’t ever plan on having cats or dogs again. I’m pretty rough on things and find out pretty fast what’s chrome plated and what’s decent metal lol- last chrome plated thing I bought disguised as SS was found out within minutes of opening the box lol- the seller wasn’t impressed they’d been found out lying or that they now had a damaged product they had to reimburse me for :laugh:

Edit to add:- I haven’t purchased a new cat crate fir well over 15 years so they may very well be all crappier quality now for all I know.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Most of mine have been bought from the airline freight place as the times I’ve really needed them to transport animals have been on flights where the carrier must be of a certain quality and style.
I don’t even have one anymore to check for a brand name I’m sorry, I gave them all away after my last cat was put to sleep because I don’t ever plan on having cats or dogs again. I’m pretty rough on things and find out pretty fast what’s chrome plated and what’s decent metal lol- last chrome plated thing I bought disguised as SS was found out within minutes of opening the box lol- the seller wasn’t impressed they’d been found out lying or that they now had a damaged product they had to reimburse me for :laugh:

Edit to add:- I haven’t purchased a new cat crate fir well over 15 years so they may very well be all crappier quality now for all I know.
It is good to know they do/did make them that way. Thanks. Mine (petco brand) are definitely all rusted.