• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving Jabel to the living room?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have yet another living room question! I know it's been asked before but I wanted to get your input for my specific situation.

Out of curiosity, I moved the birds' cage into a very empty-looking spot in our living room today. After placing it there and sitting down with my husband, we realised it is absolutely perfect there. The birds have a lot to look at, they are much more integrated in our everyday life and they are across the hall to our bedroom so we could hear Jeff sing in the morning.

My issue is the television. We rarely watch it during the day, but in the evening we like to watch it until about 10.00pm. We usually wake up at 7am. We are quite a dull couple so these hours are very much set in stone at this point :lol:

I do have the option of wheeling them back into my office every night but it's a big cage and our doorways have a slight ledge which makes it a bit more work than I had anticipated.

Basically my question is, what do you guys think? I can't carry them between rooms so a special living room play area/cage is out of the question.

If it sounds OK, I guess I can trial it for a week and see how we get on?

mak

How loud is your tv and how close is it to the cage?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They would probably love being where most of the action is. Could you have their day cage in the living room and put a small sleep cage in their current room?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you listen to the TV with headphones?

Otherwise, can you move the TV to the bedroom? Or use a laptop/tablet to watch stuff in the bedroom?

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Hello, the birds will be fine. Have had birds for 40 years and have all been in living room/dining room. We live in apt and the one room continues into the other. We watch tv in the evening like you, and around 11 it gets tuned off. The birds have always gone to bed between 8-9 covered up. They get used to the routine the same as a human baby learns to sleep with some noise on. I often peek into his cage and he is asleep. I would not want to have a party in the room obviously but just regular every day noise, does not seem to bother them.
my 2 cents worth. :heart:

Gigibirds

My bird watches TV with me every night until roughly 10, and I put her to bed at 10:30. Then she screams at me to wake up from 7:30-8:00am. Daily. *sigh* But she seems to enjoy watching the TV, or at least listening to it! She just sleeps in my hair and is completely fine with it! I think a trial week is a great way to go, or you could get a separate sleeping cage in a quiet room! Good luck! :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It took me a minute to realize you were referring to Jeff & Mabel. For a second I thought you had a secret bird named Jabel. :roflmao:

Pistachio & Marzipan are in my living room. They like it there. They can see everything that's going on & monitor the bunnies from on high. It's also quite handy. They're like two little guard dogs - anyone who comes near my door is announced.

I rarely watch TV, but when I have, they haven't minded. There are black out curtains in that room, so they don't tend to make noise 'till I open them.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for your input everyone!

I'm going to see how they get on today. I moved them out again yesterday evening as they were getting a bit loud and hyped up, so I figured it would be best to try it after having spent the day in there.

If it doesn't work out I managed to fashion some ramps which made it much easier to move them through the doorways. The most likely scenario atm is to have them in the living room in the day and my office in the evening. I'm fortunate enough to have the two alternatives!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm in that exact situation with my flock, cohabiting the lounge.
When the lights go out I use the TV's eco settings to darken the screen right down. The room is dark so it's really easy to view on dark settings. I also use wireless headphones you can get really cheap on fleabay. Once they've settled to the new routine I'm sure they'll be fine, you'll just have to be careful the first few weeks not to trigger night frights.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt’s light goes out at 9:30pm and our house is always up by 6-6:30am if not earlier. Birds don’t actually get a solid 12 hrs sleep in the dark and quiet in nature so as long as they get some quiet decent sleep hours I personally don’t see a problem with them being in your more used and convenient living area with the hours you mention.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They ventured out into the living room today! I'm sad I missed it (husband sent me a pic) because I would have loved to see them flying in this huge space!

I've not yet stuck on a spot. They are kind of half half at the minute, sometimes in the living room, sometimes in the office. It's kinds dependent on where I am that day. But it's working fine so far.

Husband said he reckons they could move into the living room, but he immediately complained about poop on the floor :lol:

received_489115532137254.jpeg

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Well I see lots of cardboard to hide the poops! :roflmao:
glad to see they are settling in well and a new view will also perk their moods so they are not bored and stagnant. Kind of like us staring at the same 4 walls:D

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well I see lots of cardboard to hide the poops! :roflmao:
glad to see they are settling in well and a new view will also perk their moods so they are not bored and stagnant. Kind of like us staring at the same 4 walls:D
We just moved in and somebody has already claimed them for their upcoming move, so that reminds me that I probably should move them before they get bird poop over them :rofl: