• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving cages

Fatbirb

Moving in
I’m hoping to soon be able to move my budgies into a larger cage, I don’t really have a safe place to take them out and they’re are stuck in a small cage all day. Planning on getting them a flight cage but don’t really know how to transfer them, any suggestions?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If the small cage fits, put it inside the big cage with the doors clipped open.

If it doesn´t fit, you could gently towel them and put them in the new cage.

If you have a shoebox, take the lid off, cut the side off one of the shorter edges and turn it upside down. Now you have a little hideout hut, put it on the cage floor in case your little ones seek some security. Only leave it the first few hours while they initially adjust. After that, you can flip it around again and turn it into a foraging box with timorthy hay or crinkle paper, toys, treats and wooden blocks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Depending on the old and new cages you can sometimes open the doors of both cages and secure the old small cage they are already in to the side of the new cage so that the doors give a free passage from one cage to the other. Only do this if you can safely secure the cages though.
We had to do it a few times with new ferrets I rescued that were completely feral, worked like a charm every time and gave the animal a stress free way of moving to the new cage.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Depending on the old and new cages you can sometimes open the doors of both cages and secure the old small cage they are already in to the side of the new cage so that the doors give a free passage from one cage to the other. Only do this if you can safely secure the cages though.
We had to do it a few times with new ferrets I rescued that were completely feral, worked like a charm every time and gave the animal a stress free way of moving to the new cage.
This is exactly how I transfered my budgies to their new, bigger cage some years ago. But again, make sure all sides are safe and that neither cage will move during the transition.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
This is how I used to clean the wild cheeks cage. I have similar cages and would clean one of my tame cheeks' cage, then open both doors. Favorite food will also entice them to move over.