• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving baby birds into an Avery

Stephii28

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Steph
Hi I breed cockatiels but my last clutch both babies had respiratory issues and couldn’t fly or leave the cage and sadly we put them both down as i could not provide the quality of life they needed as I literally could not touch them or give them any medication to help them.

After this knowing my birds were not going to breed again I got my kids two baby cockatiels that they continued to play with but they have both been in quarantine in smaller less than ideal cages and I want to move them to a bigger cage but the baby’s have their wings clipped. One birds wings are clipped on both sides so badly it cannot fly (he just goes straight to the ground) I do not condone clipping wings but I’m afraid of how they will go in a large cage, one is four months old and the other is three. Any advice for moving them to a larger cage I’m scared they will get stuck at the bottom or it will be to large for them to move around

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Steph, Welcome to the Avenue :)

By ¨aviary¨, do you mean a flight cage? (A large indoor cage)
If so, some cotton perches, ramps, ladders and plenty of natural perches will help your little ones climb around their new home. You may find they climb the cage walls (bars).
It is a good idea to line the bottom of the cage with a non pilling fleece to soften any potential falls.

If you mean a large outdoor aviary, it may be best to wait until some of their flight feathers have moulted first.

Stephii28

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Steph
Yes sorry by aviary I meant a large flight cage I’m just unsure of how well they will be able to get around but I also don’t want to wait another 3 months for them to molt

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They will be ok in the cage now as long as you make all areas accessible with ramps, perches, boings etc :)
Definitely line the cage with something soft though, even my flighted babies sometimes have a fall when first adapting to a flight cage. You can start by having all the perches etc low down for a week or two.