• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mouth infection and sudden death of a magpie

Andrei

Moving in
Hello!

This is my first post on forum.

• Conversation started today

• 07:55
    Andrei St
    Three weeks ago I found a magpie chick on the ground and took her home (it was a place with stray dogs and just near a circulated road). At that time appeared to be 1-2 weeks young.

Today the chick died sudden. Previously, few days ago I noticed some whitish deposits in the mouth, which advanced rapidly, in the final stage resembling some sort of gangrene. No other sign was apparent. Yesterday the bird was almost unaffected in behaviour. Last days she ate less than usual.

This morning she was depressed and unexpectedly weak, she barely could move or do anything. And an hour later she died in convulsions and contortions, she was streching her neck ahead, then turning her head toward back, wings opened. In those final moments, she eliminated some droppings of a brown color (different than the usual yellow color).
    The first sign of the disease appeared more than a week (perhaps two) ago as a small white blister on the tongue. But is possible to have eat some poisonous plant or insect previous day.

Two days ago I took her to the clinic of the University of Agronomic Science and Veterinary Medicine in Bucharest where a doctor diagnosed her with incipient trichomonosis but I doubt was that, because died too fast.

Here is a photo made two days ago, when the infection was still moderate in appearance. Later (next day), the red / pink color of internal skin vanished, the mouth became white:
    frcu.jpg

does anybody know what sort o disease this could be?

aparrotly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Catherine
Hi and welcome!

It's very possible that the bird died from avian trichomoniasis.

Avian trichomoniasis is principally a disease of young birds. Trichomonas gallinae varies greatly in its virulence. The severity of the disease depends on the susceptibility of the bird and on the pathogenic potential of the strain of the parasite. Adult birds that recover from the infection may still carry the parasite, but are resistant to reinfection. These birds do not show obvious signs of infection. Interestingly, infection and mortality rates are not closely linked. The disease varies from a mild condition to a rapidly fatal one with death in 4–18 days post infection.

<Wikipedia>
How did the vet make the diagnosis?

Last edited:

Andrei

Moving in
Thank you for your answer! The vet only examined her mouth, but now, after reading your quotation, I think he and you were right.

aparrotly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Catherine
Glad I could help. :)

It was wonderful of you to go out of your way to get this wild bird medical care. I'm sorry the outcome wasn't better.

Andrei

Moving in
Thank you! It was very sad because she became attached and it was a very intelligent bird (like all corvidae). As I intend to further collect chicks fallen from nests or sick birds and help them, I want to know better how to treat various diseases.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how very very sad..so sorry for your loss..than you for trying to help.:hug8: