• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mousebirds

Dezzz

Moving in
Real Name
Desiree
Heyy guys im Desiree. My cat brought home 2 baby mousebirds a week ago... So far its been good ive been feeding them purity (baby food) and small pieces of banana and pawpaw and they seem fine... Whatever goes in comes out again so in that category im fine... Im just worried cause last past 3 days they've been fighting and hurting each other with their paws and it looks like theyre jealous and they dont want to share my attention with each other... In the beginning they loved each other but now not so much....i separated them and put them in 2 different big cages and it makes me very very sad cause if the one sees that i spend time with the other one he gets so sad it just breaks my heart.... I try and spend as much time with each of them cause im at home the whole time but they still fight and get upset when i give the other one attention or when they get close enough to fight... So i dont know what to do... I dont know if they're male or female... They cant fly yet they're still very small... I need some advice please!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Desiree :)

Have you thought about maybe finding a new loving home for one of the birds?
Another option would be to put the two cages in different rooms so they don´t see each other. You could try eintroducing them in the future.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! If you look under the soft bills section, there's info on mousebirds. Maybe there will be some helpful info there?

Dezzz

Moving in
Real Name
Desiree
Welcome to the Avenue Desiree :)

Have you thought about maybe finding a new loving home for one of the birds?
Another option would be to put the two cages in different rooms so they don´t see each other. You could try eintroducing them in the future.
I have thought about it but i love them both too much already and they're so different and sweet... I wont be able to choose.... I have heard that its just a stage and they will stop fighting later on... I hope its true

Dezzz

Moving in
Real Name
Desiree
Welcome. But I must ask...what is a mouse bird??
I'm picturing a flying mouse in my brain. With wings!!
I'll have nightmares now for sure. Ha ha ha.
I'm guessing it's a type of bird. I'll have to see a picture.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They are so cute. I´m not surprised you wouldn´t be able to let one go :)

Maybe @mythic55 has some ideas...

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They're really cute!

Unfourtunatly I don't have any advice to give

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Mousebirds which are mainly frugivores, but during the mating season they actually consume a lot of protein (insects) to feed their young.

With that said- have you checking the birds for Mites? could they be aggressively eating the bugs off one another?

Edit: they also look a bit thin? have you weighed them? they are known to take out siblings if food is considered scarce.

Congrats on your new friends BTW!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Mousebirds are adorable. Not very common here in the U.S., although one of our members used to breed them here. I've heard they make wonderful pets.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Mousebirds are adorable. Not very common here in the U.S., although one of our members used to breed them here. I've heard they make wonderful pets.
They do make wonderful pets! but are extremely messy. Like mini eclectus but more acrobatic :ashamed1:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Dezzz

Moving in
Real Name
Desiree
Mousebirds which are mainly frugivores, but during the mating season they actually consume a lot of protein (insects) to feed their young.

With that said- have you checking the birds for Mites? could they be aggressively eating the bugs off one another?

Edit: they also look a bit thin? have you weighed them? they are known to take out siblings if food is considered scarce.

Congrats on your new friends BTW!
In the beginning there were a few bugs on them but they dont have a problem with lifting up their wings so i can rub them so now that i look i dont really see anything... What can i use to get the bugs (if there are) off?

I weighed them 3 or4 days ago they were 45g+- i think.... But they grow so fast! This is how they looked when i first got them... Lots of that stuff on their feathers came off i gently helped them rub it off and now they look so good. They're sleeping now and when they sleep i tend to leave them cause these 2 can make you pretty tiredbut i still love them so much... Ill weigh them as soon as they wake up then ill let you know

And i feed them a lot... When they didnt sleep through the night i used to wake up and feed them and let them poop and all of that... I still do this very early in the morning but it looks like the older they get the longer they start sleeping through the night
So i really dont think they would eat each other cause they're hungry, but i can definitely say i dont know if the purity makes them full... I give them fruit everytime i give them purity so i hope that if they are hungry that it helps

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge