• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mousebird Supplements and foods

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Hmmm...I was thinking it might be a good idea to put all the foods and treats that mousebirds will eat into one thread.

Yesterday my order for Bee Pollen came in. When I ordered it I ordered the Essential Harvest and some Trace Mineral powder. Last night I put a dish out in each flight so that it was there for morning when they went down for their banana. Within a 1/2 hour the WB went down and ate out of their bowl.

This morning, both bowls looked like they were eaten out of, BUT both bowls had a clump of digested (yes, mousers will re-cycle poop when they have babies) banana with all the bee bollen and stuff stuck to it. it looks like they rolled the poop arond in the bowl and coated it with all the treats in the bowl, and nibble on it. Sounds yucky, but since both species did the same exact thing, and in different cages, it must be a mousebird thing.

The fine print on the trace minerals was too small for my old eyes to read, but I did see powdered clay mentioned, which in my Wild Health book it is mentioned is benefical to remove any toxins in the body and helps with digestive health.

So Wild Health by Cindy Engel, ISBN 0-618-07178-4 would be another intersting book to add to any bird persons library.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Love that pretty blanket you used as a background for this photo.:) Very good idea Susanne. You have to be the first person I have ever seen go through so much to document each and every detail for anyone new in considering these wonderful Mousebirds as pets or part of their flock.:highfive:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks Carole :) I like observing and learning, and who would be the best teachers...the birds themselves. I did the same with my cockatiels, and have almost 9,000 tiel related photos, and always ask a person that posts a pix I don't have if I can add it to my library.

As to the mousebirds, finding info is hard. Finding detailed pix's is harder yet, especially with the babies. There is no visual mousebird baby growth charts, so I'll compile my pix's for that. Written info can be taken out of context, but a pix shows exactly what the writer means. This way it can be a good reference for a first time breeder to see how a chick developes, and use as a comparative guide to their chicks.

Ah that blanket is a small flannel blanket I use as a thow, when I get chilled :) It just happend to be there when I brought the bowl in to show Kirby :)

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
You have to be the first person I have ever seen go through so much to document each and every detail for anyone new in considering these wonderful Mousebirds as pets or part of their flock.:highfive:
I whole-heartedly agree. Much respect to you, Susanne! MUCH! :highfive:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Today I went and got cherries and strawberries. ALL the mousebirds gobbled them up. With the cherries you would have to cut around the center of the cherry to halve it, then remove the pit, and serve open side up. I just put a whole stawberry on the plate, with the top for them to snack on.

Carole...you'll have to copy your lists of fruits and foods to this thread so we have them all together. And I'll do collages of stuff too.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Today while at Albertsons I got some Swiss Chard. The WB ate it up, and had to give them another leaf. The BN were suspicious, and with them it may take a couple of offerring before they try it. And the RF are the least venturesome as to trying new foods.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Sometimes mousebirds can be picky and choosey. I have found that if I wedge a slice of apple thru the cage bars where they perch, they will out of curiousity try it. Once they realize the food taste good then you can use that area to introduce some new greens or chunks of fruit.

My WB LOVE greens, any kind. The BN are more reluctant to eat as many greens. When they have babies I try to encourage them as much as possible to eat more greens.

This same approach can also be used on other species of birds too :)

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I got Bok Choy today!:D The prickly pears were a hit. The red dandelion tasted horrible...I threw it out.:rolleyes: Those cherries are so sweet and delicious...everyone likes them.:) Gryphon is definitely spoiled by you with the apple in the bar trick. If I put it in the dish he doesn't touch it, bars..yep. I also found frozen Ezekial bread with no salt. When you spend as much or more time perusing the vegetable section of the grocery store for your birds than you do for yourself.....you got this bad..lol.
BTW Organic bananas taste much better than regular ones for some reason.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Here is the Ezekial low sodium bread-Publix in the freezer section

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I found more goodies that all the mousebirds liked :)

About the only mousebirds that would eat live mealworms were the WB. The others would look at them like they were poison. So I found some canned mini-mealworms and top dressed some fruit with them and they ate them. Carole, they honey-creepers might try these.

Since I learned that they like pigeon peas I decided to try the pigeon peas in coconut milk because they were also lower in sodium, and tasted nice and sweet...they were a hit.

When I bring any groceries out to the porch refrigerator all the mousbirds eyes are on me to see if there is anything for them. I got some Yogurt to add to the baby tiels formula, and since they (mousebirds) were staring at the container I put a teaspoon on each of their plates. The RF are the pickiest eaters and were the first ones to try it. Once they were brave enough to taste it they liked it.

Attachments

Moonbabi

Moving in
Real Name
Birdie
Th
Thanks Carole :) I like observing and learning, and who would be the best teachers...the birds themselves. I did the same with my cockatiels, and have almost 9,000 tiel related photos, and always ask a person that posts a pix I don't have if I can add it to my library.

As to the mousebirds, finding info is hard. Finding detailed pix's is harder yet, especially with the babies. There is no visual mousebird baby growth charts, so I'll compile my pix's for that. Written info can be taken out of context, but a pix shows exactly what the writer means. This way it can be a good reference for a first time breeder to see how a chick developes, and use as a comparative guide to their chicks.

Ah that blanket is a small flannel blanket I use as a thow, when I get chilled :) It just happend to be there when I brought the bowl in to show Kirby :)
Thank you for all your help. I have two baby mousebirds and I can’t find info anywhere

Moonbabi

Moving in
Real Name
Birdie
Yes i
was
Yes thank You. It is great, but I couldn’t find cooking, size, instructions and maybe a whole list of foods so that they don’t get bored. Also someone told me I have to feed them 5 different fruits and veggies per day, I just want to know if I should be doing that. Also I’m in South Africa and I don’t know what pellets I can get them