• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mousebird Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicolas
So I have pretty much set my heart on a mousebird for the past monthes and have finaly decided Ill make it happen some time soon in the future.
Firstly though, I have a few questions.
If mousebirds are kept as a pair, are they still able to be handled and loved on just as if there was only one? I do want to have one-on-one time with them, but, I also dont want them to be too bored when Im not home. second, what are they cage requirements for them? I have a grasping of the diet and other odds and ends. this is all I can think of right this moment, thanks in advance!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...each mousebird has a different personality....and this is whether they are in a group or just one or two. I am weaning out 4 mousebirds now. 2 are independant and preder to be with eather other. I will sleep with the other two, and still want to socialize, and the 4th is just plain spoiled rotten...which was not from handling. She is a needy type personalitiy and if I even leave the room she will call and cry until I return.

As to caging, a cockatiel sized cage is fine, or a small indoors flight cage on wheels. Bar spacing is 1/2" apart...wider and they can squeeze thru.

In my signature is a link to my website, which is still under construction but Has info on the range of foods they will eat.

Why do you want a mousebird?

Nic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicolas
I must say I have already thouroughly scanned your website 2 or 3 times. a Mousebird because 1.) theyre adorable of course, 2.) it is a smaller bird that has a 'big bird' personality. 3.) they appear to just a be a 'bird' but are able of being held/loved on. the dander issue, though I do not have an avian dander issue, and I will be getting birds that produce dander, the less, the better health wise. and finaly the beak, though it can still peck, it doesnt pose a serious threat to the smaller members of my extended family and do not have to worry about my great neice accidentaly missing a finger lol

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome Nic. Mousebirds rule..:)

Nic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicolas
Yes, I plan for a mousbird to be either my 2nd or 2nd and 3rd installments to my new flock. Either a 'tiel or lovie will come first. maybe a 'lett

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Mousebirds as pets are awesome. But just like parrots, they need a lot of one on one time with you. They are not happy just sitting in a cage alone. If with other mousebird{s}, they keep each other company, encourage each other to eat, and most importantly keep each others body temperature regulated. I have had to make adjustments and keep a warm pad for Gryphon. I am patiently waiting for another male to be available, so he can have a buddy. I love him, he is such a sweetie. And spoiled.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.