• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Mousebird Poop problem

RonelES

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ronel Slabbert
Hi Sherele
Very young mousebirds are quite vulnerable when just born but also amazingly resilient. Depending on how young your little bird is perhaps the strange twitching could just be the typical response of babies when about to be fed vis a vis an excited quivering and slight fluttering of the wings in excitement and also to show the parents they are hungary !!! as they normally are all the time ! Let's hope it is just that but the fact that it is not exhibiting these signs when asleep indicates a strong possibility that he/she is just showing anticipation of a yummy feed. The leg will heal in time so don't worry about that. Keep him /her nicely warm as you are doing, feed it often and assist with it's pooping if necessary and he/she should pull through. Then be prepared for a loving grateful little feathered companion that will display his\her love for you non stop 24 seven!!! They are amazing little things and highly intelligent. They say they are as intelligent as a 3yr old human and full of nonsense and very demanding of your attention !

Thinking of you and wishing you every success in raising this little thing to full maturity - the reward is immense.
Hi, I have the same problem as the person you answered. I have a Mousebird that has fallen out of the nest when they removed a broken tree in my yard - I have been feeding it with a syringe baby fruit puree with water. But my problem is when I stimulate him to poop.. the consistency is the same as what goes in - there are no "white caps" in his poo. Is that a problem. - I have no Knowledge of baby birds so I am really trying to save this little one.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Ronel,

Have you read these threads? Maybe there is some information in them that could help?;

@snada

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I know this all too well.

Droppings are made of: urates (white), feces (brown poop-ish) and urine. All should be present, but with a bird that is more frugivore- that can be skewed,
Do you have a photo? I can tell you approx how old your baby is...

If your mousebird is still alive- the most important thing is the formula consistency (dehydration and warm for digestion are the largest causes of death) and then nutritional content, I have a tried and true to those types of Coliiforme in an emergency:

1/2 tsp ground and soaked high quality cat food (as it has taurine)
1/2 tsp banana (potassium and magnesium)
1/2 tsp carrot puree (vit A)
1/2 tsp hard boiled egg YOLK (13 essential vitamins and minerals- including D)
1/2 tsp quinoa flour (Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids.. It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants)
1/8 tsp peanut butter (thickener- B6)
1/8 tsp apple sauce (helps crop mobility/sour crop)
Add a bit of apple juice until it resembles baby food consitancy (depending on age)
sprinkle of probiotics and bird vitamins (that includes calcium)... this fills in the gaps...

People worry about iron.... dont worry about that. It is very rare that iron has an issue- only if it has excessive vit C.... so relax and enjoythe experience of raising a baby. Otherwise i just use a normal formula mix (katee or other) with added babyfood puree with fruit.

Your baby should be putting weight on daily... before the morning feeding, use a gram scale.
1-2weeks old 1cc every hour
2-3 weeks 1-2cc every 2 hours
3-4 weeks 2cc every 2 hours with some soft fruit bites
Try to wean..... you will find this very hard.

You can PM me, or respond and i can give further instruction.