• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Mousebird Baby Rescue

MadieM

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone

I am from Cape Town South-Africa and my cat brought in a baby Mousebird. The baby is fine I got to him before my cat could do any harm. I haven't had a bird since I was a child so I don't know much about birds.

I have read alot of theads on here and believe I have a 7-8 day old white back Mousebird baby. I want to make sure I am doing everything right. I don't want to be the reason he doesn't make it. He is so loving.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

FEEDING:
I am feeding him a mixture of purity, squashed banana and baby bird feed formula. The bird responds to the food syringe so I have no problem feeding him. I feed him just over 0.5cc/0.5ml every hour that is all he wants, after that amount he doesn't open his beak anymore and his eyes start to close.

Is there somewhere I can get a list of all the fruits and vegetables that he can eet?

POOPS:
I make sure he poops with every feeding. I don't have to stimulate him anymore, he is pooping on his own before feedings. I still stimulate a little after just to be sure everything is out.

DEHYDRATION:
I am really worried about dehydration. I have read on a thread that you can tell from looking at his legs, but what exactly should I look for? Also I found this homemade electrolyte recipe is it safe for him or should I rather go to a pet shop?
  • 2 c. Warm Water
  • 2 tbsp. Brown Sugar, Honey or Molasses (I prefer molasses)
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
HEATING:
I am currently using a 42 watt light bulb for heating but I don't know when or if I can turn it off?? The light does not shine directly on him, there is 2 layers of thin tshirt cloth over him and the light is about 15cm away from him.

ENERGY:
Even though his eyes aren't always open he is very active. This morning he tried to climb out of his box. He always wants cuddles and don't want to let me go when I try to put him back after a feeding.

TWITCHING:
He twitches a lot and it's quite drastic. Is this ok? Is it normal?

Any advice is welcome. If I am doing something wrong please let me know. I really don't want to be the reason he doesn't make it.

IMG_20211024_084414.jpg IMG_20211024_084357.jpg IMG_20211024_084104.jpg IMG_20211024_084051.jpg

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@waterfaller1 maybe able to guide you. Thank you for helping this little one.